Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
It is a condemned rifle, why reason unknown. The o ring trick has nothing to do with the military it is a civivie trick to prolong case life for reloading.
For me that rifle is a museum piece to be looked at admired but not fired.
No disagreement here. Just that I look at them from a shooting perspective. Even if I only shoot it once or twice, it must shoot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Really appreciate all of your responses. I'm located in the North Carolina area.

For conversation or curiosity purposes, lets assume is just a parts item, a wall decoration, what should be a fair price for this package?

I contacted the seller of this rifle and mentioned to him the meaning of the ZF.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Will be a little hard to hang all the bits on a wall. Which is why I said a museum for display, you may have one for all I know or plan on starting one. Price what ever you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Really appreciate all of your responses. I'm located in the North Carolina area.

For conversation or curiosity purposes, lets assume is just a parts item, a wall decoration, what should be a fair price for this package?

I contacted the seller of this rifle and mentioned to him the meaning of the ZF.

I'd suggest that if the scope functions crrectly (not frozen), is not damaged and in good all round condition that worth $1000+ (ebay)
The scope mounts (are they numbered to the scope ?) could be another $400-500.
Transit case $300+

The rifle - possibly $200 as a display item

Offer $2000, if you want to break it down.
Walk away if you want a rifle you can shoot.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
52,430 Posts
I'd suggest that if the scope functions crrectly (not frozen), is not damaged and in good all round condition that worth $1000+ (ebay)
The scope mounts (are they numbered to the scope ?) could be another $400-500.
Transit case $300+

The rifle - possibly $200 as a display item

Offer $2000, if you want to break it down.
Walk away if you want a rifle you can shoot.

What AdE said,

it is worth the sum of it's parts, or rather the parts that are safe to sell

·
Registered
805 Posts
It may be worth only the sum of parts, but that sum is higher than you guys are suggesting. The scope and mount are worth at least $2K alone, probably more on eBay, plus the transit case, scope case, and other assorted parts of the rifle. I'd say at least $4K if parted out.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It may be worth only the sum of parts, but that sum is higher than you guys are suggesting. The scope and mount are worth at least $2K alone, probably more on eBay, plus the transit case, scope case, and other assorted parts of the rifle. I'd say at least $4K if parted out.
We can discuss the 'value' (I did suggest $1000+ for the scope, and $500 for the mounts, against your $2000, which by the time you've paid Ebay their 10% gives $1800 so we are not a million miles away) but I think that what is not for debate is that "buying it to shoot it" is not recommended.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
It is a well travelled rifle showing history of wear and tear. The quickest way to get new sniper gear is to ZF the old. Can not have the boys without good gear when they are about to be deployed. Hurries up the supply chain.
No offense Bindi2 but the above is fantasy speculation. At unit level, they don't ZF a rifle much less stencil ZF on stocks.
When such a obvious glorious rifle with ZF pops up, the apologists arrive with all manner of rationale that the rifle is okay, it just got this mark some innocent way , nothing to see here, move on.

ZF is ZF. Now if you want one, go buy it and know its unsafe as is a DP to fire.

End of subject: ZF is the kiss of death. This rifle is a glorious wall hanger and , in my opinion will resurface in our life times with a replaced stock and be Non ZF to some innocent buyer. What happens after that is terrible. This rifle is unsafe and a hazard.

ZF: turn the page, walk away or be proof a fool & his money soon parted.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
It is a condemned rifle, why reason unknown. The o ring trick has nothing to do with the military it is a civivie trick to prolong case life for reloading.
For me that rifle is a museum piece to be looked at admired but not fired.
Now here is Bindi2 giving the final verdict from his fox hole. Fact is: There is no consensus to seek, no one here is qualified to Non ZF anything. Opinions, theories of anyone here is just that. This rifle was condemned by the British military and that is the bottom line.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
52,430 Posts

parts and pieces do vary

ebay sold at $2K

a can sold in the UK for over $600

did not search the rest,

just remember to do advanced search, and sold

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Regarding the ZF and condemnation of the rifle, does it not seem strange that scope and bracket would be left with it? Many brackets have been on two or three rifles and Laidler has described how the scopes could be rebuilt from extremely bad condition (one of mine he told me was close to being scrapped when he rebuilt it). By being left with the ZF'd rifle that scope and bracket were essentially wasted.

Ruprecht

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Regarding the ZF and condemnation of the rifle, does it not seem strange that scope and bracket would be left with it? Many brackets have been on two or three rifles and Laidler has described how the scopes could be rebuilt from extremely bad condition (one of mine he told me was close to being scrapped when he rebuilt it). By being left with the ZF'd rifle that scope and bracket were essentially wasted.

Ruprecht

The Z was the armourers marking to say 'problems we cannot fix' the F means send back to factory.

Peter has said that the whole 'package' would be sent back, it could be that the factory decided to rebuild it in which case they'd need all of the parts. An armourer would not strip it of all usable parts prior to sending for 'repair' but the 'factory' might, or just sell it for scrap.

From PL :

When your rifle goes back to Ordnance as a ‘scrapper (or a ZF in Armourers language ……get it…., it’s that word again…?) it is disposed of by torch or gulllotine as a whole complete unit or sale as scrap to some dealer who wants to earn a fast buck.

Reactions: DisasterDog

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
A bit of clarification: I never meant to imply I would want to shoot that rifle. Only for the price asked I prefer to shoot what I am buying.
Once the suggestion of it possibly being a political condemnation was made, others may take that as a truth and figure it was OK to use. My intent was to bring all that to surface so it could be nixed.
In all fairness to Bindi, the mention of politics was simply a guess for the sake of conversation and I still take it that way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Want to give thanks to everyone one of you, for your responses, very nice of you to take the time.

Like one person mentioned, this set will probably will show up in the future, probably with a different buttstock. For that reason, I agreed to meet with the seller tomorrow, he is willing to drop the price.

I actually have a few rifles that I just like to display, have a room in my house for myself and like to have rifles and collectables in display. I believe I have about 100 rifles, not as many as some of you gentlemen, but do enjoy collecting, hopefully, one day I can catch up with you.

Will update tomorrow...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Want to give thanks to everyone one of you, for your responses, very nice of you to take the time.

Like one person mentioned, this set will probably will show up in the future, probably with a different buttstock. For that reason, I agreed to meet with the seller tomorrow, he is willing to drop the price.

I actually have a few rifles that I just like to display, have a room in my house for myself and like to have rifles and collectables in display. I believe I have about 100 rifles, not as many as some of you gentlemen, but do enjoy collecting, hopefully, one day I can catch up with you.

Will update tomorrow...

Wish you luck that you get it for a 'display price'. / wallhanger price.

It would solve any future questions if you drilled thru the breech / barrel.
I wouldn't want to be responsible if sometime in the future a rifle of mine resulted in blinding, or killing someone because its history had been hidden.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Wish you luck that you get it for a 'display price'. / wallhanger price.

It would solve any future questions if you drilled thru the breech / barrel.
I wouldn't want to be responsible if sometime in the future a rifle of mine resulted in blinding, or killing someone because its history had been hidden.
Talk about being on the horns of a dilemma!
I understand the reasoning behind that. Nonetheless it strikes me as being de-act and that has always made me cringe.
I would like to add that a hole isn't enough for safety reasons. A round can still be chambered and fired if a cross pin isn't blocking the chamber. Which means demonstrations of function using dummy rounds is no longer an option. Nipped firing pins and blocked boltheads have been replaced on DP rifles in the past.

For now, only for now, a hang tag stating unsafe to fire should suffice. At least until this one fades from short term memory.

added:
A full sized No4t SKN would look cool and still maintain a premium if done correctly. I couldn't do it though. It would be like putting down and stuffing a favorite family pet.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Milprileb
Are you qualified well enough in Commonwealth or British procedure to broadside me. A d E has the written words of the man who knows all.
It is a museum piece or parts to keep another rifle in service.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts