Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Added another 36 Tula to my growing collection of 36 Tula rifles, and this one was a must have, It’s a 36 Tula Simonov Trials Rifle with obvious SCW Heritage.

The rifle is rough but but reasonable intact, the hand guard is off a regular 91/30 and the nose cap over the bayonet mount is missing. The bolt is a mismatch but is all Tula parts. The cleaning rod is missing and the numbering on the L/H side of the stock has been gouged off and the stock recoated in some very crude varnish, but the stock is the original stock with the action bedding pillars. The butt plate and mag housing are also original as well as the unique barrel bands and front sight found on the Trials rifles. There is still a SCW rear sling hanger on the stock, and bore is surprisingly bright with good rifling.

All in all it will make a nice bookend to my other Trials Rifle and go great with the other 36 Tula’s in my collection.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
MT great rifle, congrats on your acquisition. Still looking for an example of one of these myself. Very interesting these trials rifles with unique features. Very uncommon, not easily found. Well done.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,058 Posts
M-T, as we discussed, nice. :thumbsup:

I find the front sight variation very interesting. And inexplicable.

Often times a front sight will be protected by a hood or wings that are deliberately manufactured so as to allow the admission of light. But why is the hood on this Trials variant only cut on one side? To test whether there was any advantage in having the cuts on one side as opposed to the other? I wonder whether a variant was made with the cut-out on the opposite side as well?
I can't see the advantage of only having only one side cut, as opposed to both sides, and I also can't imagine that only having one cut-out on a particular side would differ from its opposite? :confused:
Perhaps the cutout was for the use of some type of front sight adjustment tool? :confused:

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
. . . I can't see the advantage of only having only one side cut, as opposed to both sides, and I also can't imagine that only having one cut-out on a particular side would differ from its opposite? :confused:
Perhaps the cutout was for the use of some type of front sight adjustment tool? :confused: . . .
It appears that the globe is attached by dovetails which run linear to the barrel, while the sight slider is in the standard lateral dovetail. So the smaller cutout on the right side allows the sight to be slid right of center if needed, and the larger cutout on the left is to allow removal of the sight slider/post through that side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.