Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi,
Was a Carl Zeiss of Jena Zielacht scope ever used as a wartime sniper variant in a 98k?
Would anyone know whether this scope can be mounted on turrets?
Thanks in advance.
As far as I know, the 8X Zielacht Scope was never used on a wartime sniper, but Mauser had them on their Sporting Rifles for Hunting.

Yes it can be done. My 8 Power Zeiss Zielacht Scope is mounted on High Turret Mounts from Robert in Austria.
The Rifle is a byf44 K98. There is still lots of clearance for removing/installing the scope when rotating it in to place.
You can still see through the holes machined in both mounts for using the iron sights on the rifle, so no obstruction at all with the bell of the scope.

I also have a 4X Zeiss Zielvier, but no rings for it yet. So someday I can switch
between the 4X Zeiss and the "Enemy at the Gates 8X Zielacht" when I need longer range!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have never seen a wartime 8x Zeiss on a rifle, but that doesn't mean there weren't.

Interestingly, the "Major Koenig" rifle has a claw mount, and in actuality the objective bell is so f'ing huge, the scope cannot be dismounted by tilting forward.

Huge pet peeve of mine. The motivation was to imply that the "elite" German sniper had a huge advantage in optics and technology, and still was beaten by a peasant with a 4x PU scope.

And they don't show a 3 post reticle in Koenig's view...but do for Zaitzev. Also annoying.

The only thing worse would have been if they somehow would have made Koenig an SS mann, but unbelievably he was actually a Wehrmacht sniper.

The whole movie was a bunch of crap in my opinion, start to finish. The highlight was seeing the Commisar get a 7.92x57 FMJ in the melon, despite the gross underrepresentation of the results of such a shot on a human head - even a thick skulled Soviet Political officer.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It was a bad movie overall, one kernal of popcorn out of five.

Lots of errors in filming too. When Zaitsev gets off the boat with the Big Russian he has a cut that is bleeding above his right eye, then all of a sudden when they are walking there is a big bandage that appears over the wound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.