Gunboards Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
How so...what lack of quality have you noted where? All my Russian/old Sov U scope experience is with the WW2 era scopes.
The rifles in question both come with different brands of the PSO-1 style of scope. One is made by NPZ which is in Novosibirsk, Russia
While BelOMO POSP scope that comes with the M91 From Zastava is from optical plant in Minsk, Belarus.

I've always been on the notion that NPZ's had a higher quality of glass, so I've shy'd away from POSP in favor of NPZ brand.
But you never know when competition can decide to up the game.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Good background info.... much like the WW2 dif plants and optics....some used a glu that when aged turned a slightly yellow tint and others clear as 'glass'...no pun.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good background info.... much like the WW2 dif plants and optics....some used a glu that when aged turned a slightly yellow tint and others clear as 'glass'...no pun.
Yeah, it's pretty neato burrito that the yellow tint is from Canada Balsam a resin from fir trees that ages and turns that pee yellow colour.

I had a PU scope that arrived filled with some of the nastiest cosmoline I've ever seen to the point you couldn't even view through the scope. I had to use Ratnik's tutorial, and I actually unsealed the lenses on mine due to issues with it being far too cloudy for any real application. Eventually after some struggles, I learned how to reseal with modern military optical adhesive and a UV lamp for curation, now It's one of the cleanest PU's I've seen. A definite appreciation for the time and the tools they had back then though versus today.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty neato burrito that the yellow tint is from Canada Balsam a resin from fir trees that ages and turns that pee yellow colour.

I had a PU scope that arrived filled with some of the nastiest cosmoline I've ever seen to the point you couldn't even view through the scope. I had to use Ratnik's tutorial, and I actually unsealed the lenses on mine due to issues with it being far too cloudy for any real application. Eventually after some struggles, I learned how to reseal with modern military optical adhesive and a UV lamp for curation, now It's one of the cleanest PU's I've seen. A definite appreciation for the time and the tools we have today.
Lol, some of the cosmoline appliers could have been arrested and charged with sabotage....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Lol, some of the cosmoline appliers could have been arrested and charged with sabotage....
I'm inclined to believe Ivan accidentally dropped my particular scope in the cosmoline bucket and put it back before the boss noticed. :whistle:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I'm inclined to believe Ivan accidentally dropped my particular scope in the cosmoline bucket and put it back before the boss noticed. :whistle:
Or there was a measured cosmoline quota usage...."I'll just lube this baby up and finish my day"...

OTOH...rust was not an issue!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Glass is better, but also, reticle is with sharp tip on NPZ when POSP was like with rounded tip...

Speaking of optics...what other eastern bloc (it was so easy to say combloc back in the day) optics with greater magnification would marry right up to the M91 or similar....I've noted other Kalinka units that 'look' like a proper fit.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Speaking of optics...what other eastern bloc (it was so easy to say combloc back in the day) optics with greater magnification would marry right up to the M91 or similar....I've noted other Kalinka units that 'look' like a proper fit.
I was looking for a ZRAK that was calibrated for 7.62x54 and no dice so far

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
^^^ someone we know ought to do a compatibility video of dif similar scopes with the M 91/PSL/VEPR

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a POSP 8x on my PSL, but I've had to play around with it a bit to get it zero'd. Could be the rail on the PSL, but I think the mount on the scope may be off. Needed to add shims and do some mods to get the reticle centered properly.

Optically I think it's decent though.

There are a few different models out there. Mine is the grey model with LARGE turrets - which are easily bumped.

Rob has said he prefers the 4x IIRC.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Thanks JKV.... I love to re load and tinker so I know at some point I'll try to marry up a bit more scope.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I have PO 3-9x24, but they screw that one up badly, glass is polluted with little debris. I think they had correct idea but execution was not there...lol

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I have PO 3-9x24, but they screw that one up badly, glass is polluted with little debris. I think they had correct idea but execution was not there...lol
So that will marry up with the PSL/M 91 or the 7.62r and work? Maybe Vasya had too much V the nite prior....

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
More questions...what 7.62 suppressor do you use Rob..I'm looking at a Banish 30 right now for the M 91.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I prefer NPZ - it was better in my case.
NPZ optics are nicer.. but if you can find a nice Romanian PS-1, it's even nicer than either of the Russian scopes. OR go for a Zrak scope. Several available on GunBroker..

41 - 60 of 70 Posts