Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn’t a “sniper” rifle as it is a DMR rifle. I was wondering if anyone has one and what plinking ammo you use. I hand load and will be making up some loads when I get time, but was looking at off the shelf bulk ammo as well. I know the POSP scope is calibrated for light ball, but I also know this rifle is fine with 185gr and above as well. Looking at ammo prices, between 148gr, 175gr, and 185gr for some fun range stuff for when I’m not so concerned with small group size. Narrowed down to 148gr Red Army, 175gr Monarch, and 185gr Brown Bear. Anyone have experience with any of these?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rob, I was looking for Barnaul but I couldn’t find any online! The ammo I posted above were only due to them being the only available right now. I watch your videos regularly after I put the kids to sleep! Your video here actually was what pushed me to my M91 (and to round out my Serbian/Yugo collection)!

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I'm having also good results with 148gr Red Army Standard in some rifles...RAS is rebranded Tula. But results will of course very from rifle to rifle...still, it is available and it maybe worth it to try it out.
And thank you for watching!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You after off the shelf ammo or whatever you can get your hands on? Would you wanna try some surplus stuff?
I have some surplus which was solely for bolt guns. Prefer to use non-corrosive at the moment for semi autos, and yes I know how to clean firearms after corrosive which doesn’t bother me. Just not too impressed with surplus in the semi autos I’ve had.

·
Registered
112 Posts
ammoseek.com does a good job of showing what's available and ranks the results from least expensive to most expensive.

Here's what comes up for 7.62 x 54R - 7.62x54R Ammo

I've used mostly Barnaul 147 and 174gr in my PSL, and it has been decent, but not match quality for sure. Was paying about $ .50 per round for it usually.

I have some PPU 182gr Match I picked up a while ago that I need to try. That was about $ .70 per at the time.

The top choice, and Rob's favorite, is S&B 174gr Match. Haven't tried that yet, and it was about $2.00 a round when I last saw it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use ammoseek regularly, ended up getting some 148gr RAS shipped to the house (while we still can).

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Broke my M91 in with 148gr Tula, ran just fine. Now using using 174gr Brown Bear and 174gr Silver Bear, both of which also run fine.

Have some 183gr Yugo surplus that I use in my M39’s but haven’t tried it in my M91 yet. Run 148gr Russian silver tip surplus in my PSL without issue.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
So gents....if I was in the market which would you recommend....PSL or the M91.....I see advantages to both.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
So gents....if I was in the market which would you recommend....PSL or the M91.....I see advantages to both.
Zastava is higher quality gun with more features, like regulate gas system and thicker barrel and threaded barrel. That being said, you can make PSL54 into the nice shooter, but it will cost you more money. Still, PSL54 is almost half of what zastava is...

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Rob, the PSL prices have risen to if you can find one.... I do like the heavier barrel. Can the 91's trigger be worked on 'in home'.....I do all of my own fine tuning myself....

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you have budget, the M91 has features the PSL doesn't have that really help you take the platform to the next level WITHOUT having to upgrade or modify it.

The PSL is about half as cheap, but you will need to upgrade the piston with a KNS if you want to shoot ammo of a heavier grain then lightball (150grn) which most match ammo is 174 grain and higher. You will also need to upgrade or tune the trigger, as mine came with trigger worse then a refurbished mosin.

If you are handy with modifying your rifle on your own, you can do all these modifications pretty cheap and save money.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Thanks gents....good food for thought....I'll be buying one or the other but will come back and give a heads up...am leaning towards the M91

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Sarge...sorry, didn't mean to re direct your thread....as to the ammo I generally use heavy ball in every rifle but my SVT40.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sarge...sorry, didn't mean to re direct your thread....as to the ammo I generally use heavy ball in every rifle but my SVT40.
No problem! I was actually picking my M91 up from the FFL. Right off the bat I’m impressed with the quality of this rifle, very well made and great fit/finish. Surprised how nice the glass is on the POSP scope actually. I have an SVD style flash hider on the way and will be taking a dremel to the small tack weld on the muzzle nut to remove it and replace with the new flash hider. I actually think the trigger is very nice for a factory military trigger. Rivets look great, finish looks great, nice thick barrel. Liked these ever since I saw them overseas. Now to sight it in between ice fishing!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Have both and for me the M91 is the must have if your only getting one. Better made, more accurate, comes ready with adjustable gas system. The must have addition is a good bipod, because the M91 is heavy and will wear you out. Also runs hotter than hell so it is not a blaster. Take it to the range when you have plenty of time, also take other guns to shoot to allow the M91 to cool down a bite.

The PSL54 is also a good gun but is better suited for carrying, plinking and blasting. While I like the M91 more the PSL is a large AK that is a hell of a lot of fun, especially if you stacked surplus ammo high an deep.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
glass...good comments on usage and druthers.....gives good thinking material. I use snipers as snipers so not so much a blaster. When I take my PE/PEM/PU out I take my time and do allow for cool down as you suggested...AK or Lugers or something to mess with while they open bolt cool down.
I am strongly leaning into the M91.
Nice run down Sarge.... pretty much what Rob observed too on the quality.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For anyone wondering about the tack weld, took me 3 minutes with a small hand saw and twisted right off, sprayed some CLP on the detent (stuck down) and pushed on it with a screwdriver and voila

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have some surplus which was solely for bolt guns. Prefer to use non-corrosive at the moment for semi autos, and yes I know how to clean firearms after corrosive which doesn’t bother me. Just not too impressed with surplus in the semi autos I’ve had.
I mean to just get the thing on paper at whatever distance your shooting at, then run the good stuff. I have a couple cans of Russian 7N1 that I keep around just for that reason

1 - 20 of 87 Posts