Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is about 180 rounds downrange and as I noted before failure to extract....like block of wood and mallet to extract. I had 5 today so here is what we have. The same WOLF 148 gn lot (the only steel I have until this week)
After about 30 rounds (barrel properly hot so tolerances tighten up) I start to get this issue with failure to extract so I started looking closely at the rounds.
You can see a bulge on the casing just above the rim on these on the right and this is what sticks...hard. You can see the width.
The center steel mic out with less width but are still tight.
The PPU 182 on the left mic out smaller and can still be put in the chamber and extracted with a thumbnail.
On the far right cases you can feel the bulge at the base with your thumbnail.
The M91 is starting to print nicely even with this crappy ammo...but I only have 100 yards to play with.

Is this the chamber or the rounds in your opinion....btw, I had the same issue with this ammo lot and my SVT but not as bad but the SVT has that striated chamber.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I had failure to extract on first range trip. Shooting Tula light ball had first fte between 100 & 110. Loaded another mag and had several fte’s. Popped the cases out with a Mauser cleaning rod I had with me, cases cam out easily. Rims were ripped through by the extractor. No bulge on the cases. Took the rifle home and stripped and cleaned and it wasn’t that dirty.
Several weeks later completed the breakin with light ball and switched to Silver Bear 183gr and have not ade any issues.
I keep it clean and oiled and usually only put 50 to 60 rounds through a range trip while spacing out mags as not to over heat.
I think oil is more important than cleaning. The rifle does not get dirty but runs hotter than hell. Like mag dumping an AK74 hot until the hand guard smokes.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had failure to extract on first range trip. Shooting Tula light ball had first fte between 100 & 110. Loaded another mag and had several fte’s. Popped the cases out with a Mauser cleaning rod I had with me, cases cam out easily. Rims were ripped through by the extractor. No bulge on the cases. Took the rifle home and stripped and cleaned and it wasn’t that dirty.
Several weeks later completed the breakin with light ball and switched to Silver Bear 183gr and have not ade any issues.
I keep it clean and oiled and usually only put 50 to 60 rounds through a range trip while spacing out mags as not to over heat.
I think oil is more important than cleaning. The rifle does not get dirty but runs hotter than hell. Like mag dumping an AK74 hot until the hand guard smokes.

Rifle was cleaned and oiled but we had the same issue only I had fired only about 30-40 rounds. I did note a difference in the casings as noted above....I get the heat issue but can't imagine it would react this quickly...these did not extract easily either...block of wood on the charging handle and a whack with a heavy rubber mallet.

I am guessing/hoping it is the ammo as I had a similar issue with this same batch and my SVT locking up....same thing. Stuck round.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Shared my experience, light tapping no hammer and poped them out and haven’t had the issue since under the operating conditions I described with my M91.

The only time I had an issue as you described was 25 years ago and I was dump and stupid. Back then I tried shooting Chinese steel case 7.62x51 out of a Remington 688. Split and bulged cases had to be hammers out with mallet. As I recall it didn’t sink on that I was doing something stupid until the the 3rd time hammering out a ruptured case. That was pre internet when if you lived to 30 you actually picked up some serious life skills, albeit the hard way.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I hope that is the case....the ammo...it is not obvious as no splits or bulges seen until one looks closely and then what I've described.....I have some Tula showing up next week so we'll see....thanks for your input.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Rifle was cleaned and oiled but we had the same issue only I had fired only about 30-40 rounds. I did note a difference in the casings as noted above....I get the heat issue but can't imagine it would react this quickly...these did not extract easily either...block of wood on the charging handle and a whack with a heavy rubber mallet.

I am guessing/hoping it is the ammo as I had a similar issue with this same batch and my SVT locking up....same thing. Stuck round.
I had same issue with wolf ammo, the bolt had to be mortared to get the action to cycle the shot round case out of the action.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
I had same issue with wolf ammo, the bolt had to be mortared to get the action to cycle the shot round case out of the action.
Yeah, i had few problems with one of thee boxes too, but in current ammo situation, if it goes bang then there is no reason to complain. lol.

Also, don't "mortar" AK style rifles. Put them in 45 degrees angle with butt stock on the ground and barrel facing up. Hold rifle by the barrel with left hand - rifle should be between your legs (again, barrel in 45 degrees angle facing up away from your head - i know it is spend cartridge but just in case). Now, with your right boot / shoe kick bolt down (step on it - like kick starting old bike). This handle was designed that way also for situations like this.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks gents....good to hear the same issues.
That cycle kick is what I've used before on the old M 16 charging handle and the SVT 40 when using this same lot of Wolf.
I'll post the results with dif ammo....otoh, registered the warranty with Z last night...you have to go to their website and register within 30 days of purchase then they send you an email indicating good to go.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yeah, i had few problems with one of thee boxes too, but in current ammo situation, if it goes bang then there is no reason to complain. lol.

Also, don't "mortar" AK style rifles. Put them in 45 degrees angle with butt stock on the ground and barrel facing up. Hold rifle by the barrel with left hand - rifle should be between your legs (again, barrel in 45 degrees angle facing up away from your head - i know it is spend cartridge but just in case). Now, with your right boot / shoe kick bolt down (step on it - like kick starting old bike). This handle was designed that way also for situations like this.
Amen on that, I found 60 rounds of 7.62x54r in some polish ammo pouches I had shoved in my rucksack from few weeks ago, was better then finding money in an old coat.

Good technique, I'll try that in the future.
Though in my case, it's more of a light bump like a mortaring, just the word I know, far to anal about people touching my sniper/scoped rifles enough, let alone rough handling them.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Success today...90 rounds shot rather quickly with no issues at all...40 Wolf (same lot) and 50ish PPU of dif sizes.
The first 40 were the wolf @ 50 meters, iron sights and shot at the stated combat rpm except for reloads as I only have two mags. This is the target. The rest were also shot pretty quickly on purpose to see if I could heat it up and cause any issues...none occurred. I shot everything on the #2 gas position.
The only difference is last night I 'polished' the chamber using a .60 caliber brass bore brush and JB compound...using a wobble extension and a power drill. Coat the brush and work it in both directions....not too fast but a pretty good clip.
I have done this on cosmolined Mosin chambers with solvent....spanking clean. Does not take much.
No idea if that helped or not but it did not hurt...a few pics of our 100 yard range...all alone today like I was yesterday and there is no 'range control'....once you are vetted you get the combo to the lock and you re on your own....nice.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
M 91 characteristics (IMO)...the rifle is heavy, but most DMR/sniper systems are today, but not overly so. The primary take away after only a few hundred rounds was its balance.
The heavier barrel puts the weapons point of balance forward and that reduces muzzle climb...the recoil feels straight back as opposed to up and back.
This translated to quick target acquirement for a second shot on the same target....the target does not leave your sight plane. This was very obvious when using the scope....you do not lose the target you just engaged. I find this unique for a heavy caliber system. If you shoot a Mosin sniper you know what I mean about a rearward balance and muzzle jump.
As I've little experience with 'modern' snipers I found this aspect of the 91 excellent. PSL's may be the same, I've no idea.
The 40 round target above was shot at a very quick pace because of this fast recovery.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I was inspired to copy your method of using JB cleaner on mine as well. Decided to pull the Gucci ammo out as well, some Winchester 180 grain soft points, that seem to shoot well in everything I own.
Results surprised hell out of me today and speak for their own.

And I agree on the balance, they are very well balanced compared to a mosin on firing.

Colorfulness Slope Circle Coquelicot

Space Home game console accessory Circle Calipers Machine

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.