Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a story on radio this morning about indigenous folk living along the Yukon having problems because chum salmon stocks have crashed this year. Apparently other sorts have dropped seriously previously and it is a serious problem. Can't catch food, so having to shop and at high prices. Warmer ocean water cited as the cause.

Hope Chip and his family aren't being hit.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,812 Posts
it has to be global warming. I mean what else could it be?
sarcasm intended.
The only way out of this is another trillion dollar spending bill.

Hopefully Leo can travel on his giant diesel guzzling yacht to push for another bill.. the solution is always making the tax payer hand over money.

I just hope we get it right this time. Back during the ice age when cave men were ignorantly driving around V8 pickup trucks and allowing cows to fart, all the ice melted and the ice age was over.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
When I was in grade school there was a common held view that we were about to enter another mini ice age. The truth is nobody knows. An expert scientist in this field will tell you they dont know. Now, they are sincere in many being afraid they dont know it could be good, bad or indifferent. I know about computer models. You keep turning the knobs until the results make sense. Sense to you. Winners and loosers to some unknown degree. Sure. Unknown. Probably just like kaban posted, is we have a greener land surface. More food is good.

Just another off topic foot note of an off topic discussion- When I was in school world population was 3 trillion billion. Today it is 8 trillion billion. And if someone sneezes in Bejing, I catch a cold. Packed in like rats in a cage with no end in sight. Nobody even dare to say a word. There is no guarantee on global warming. I can 100% guarantee something will have to give with the population.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Marine heatwave likely has something to do with it. Scientists claim it can occur naturally (some claim it is exacerbated by humans), and its effects can be devastating to marine life. The Mediterranean Sea is currently experiencing 5-9 deg higher temp than normal.

If Earth is heading for another ice age, I hope it comes early. I just read an article predicting "normal" extreme heat conditions for the US Midwest and the South in a few decades. I'll probably be gone by then, but I'd hate to think my kids and grandkids may have to suffer that.

·
100,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I was in grade school there was a common held view that we were about to enter another mini ice age. The truth is nobody knows. An expert scientist in this field will tell you they dont know. Now, they are sincere in many being afraid they dont know it could be good, bad or indifferent. I know about computer models. You keep turning the knobs until the results make sense. Sense to you. Winners and loosers to some unknown degree. Sure. Unknown. Probably just like kaban posted, is we have a greener land surface. More food is good.

Just another off topic foot note of an off topic discussion- When I was in school world population was 3 trillion. Today it is 8 trillion. And if someone sneezes in Bejing, I catch a cold. Packed in like rats in a cage with no end in sight. Nobody even dare to say a word. There is no quarantee on global warming. I can 100% guarantee something will have to give with the population.
Surely billion, not trillion. I hope. Not that there aren't too many rats in the box as it is.

·
100,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Opps. I will fix that. Billons, right. More zero's in the future.
Yeah, just heard something on that subject about India. Population there continues to increase and will shortly exceed China's to become the most populous nation in the world. This will be bad for Asiatic Lions and Tigers.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,189 Posts
ever human on earth can fit in Texas on 4x4 foot of land...
earth can hold every need.
IF "man produced a product home" to work that supported by increasing needs locally first,
to state to country to world needs,
reorganized for profits ..human[s in control factor is the problem "top to bottom",><

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
The Yukon has been in trouble for a few years, on and off. First Yukon Kings, then Chums (the more numerous) have fallen in numbers.

We had a hot eather, low oxygen die off 5 years ago, hundreds of thousands of Chum filled with eggs died on the Kobuk river, and the smolts were few.
The average fish is 4 years old, but nature sends in some 3 and some 5 year olds, so the staggered birth/spawn time keeps things going.
Our Kiwalik and Kobuk Rivers Chum runs this year were excellent and we have allready put our July catch away and have returned to camp for Silver Salmon and berry picking. Theres a couple Kings in our freezer, but most bounce off our small chum mesh. Were by the Ocean here, so they are fat and well shaped, strong and delicious. Frozen, smoked or dried, all is good.
Last year our Pink Salmon were allmost too much, so its the cyclic wax and wane of any general polulation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts