Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all. Mulling over a M48 offered for sale and described as used [obviously] with light surface rust in barrel. Surface rust I can live with but what is underneath concerns me.

Any other issues one should be aware of? What is current price range of the M48?

Thanks in advance.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,280 Posts
Light surface rust in barrel? Thats an ominous description. Unless it is just flash rust at the muzzle from not being oils before stacked away...that would give me pause. Any rust is indicator for poor care/storage. If it was used with corrosive primers and not cleaned properly, it could have uniform rust in the bore Wich may leave permanent damage. I wouldn't offer any money without in-person inspection, and heck ...I'd want to swab the bore too if there is any "rust" apparent.

That being said, these rifles were well undervalued at $200 with mint condition and accessories for a long time. For me, it would all boil down to condition, and I would hesitate at $200 with what you describe. Course, I bought $75 mosins with dark bores that are excellent shooters...but that's an OK $75 gamble.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ssher88
1 - 2 of 2 Posts