Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for ammo for the Hakim. Does anyone know if the Yugo sniper rounds are loaded hotter than standard '70's Yugo?

What about steel Romanian? Some say avoid steel but some say it works good.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
The once highly prized M75 "sniper ammo" didn't do any better for accuracy in the Hakim than 80's Romy and, possibly from the type of powder and the heavy fouling, caused more feeding and jamming.
Steel cased late production is fine but read back through previous Hakim posts ...
Steel cases were lacquer or poly coated and the coating tends to gum up the chamber like hot glue causing severe problems with extraction, including broken extractors.
When shooting the coated steel cases, carry a one piece solid stainless cleaning rod to knock loose any stuck empties. Also carry a short rod with a .45 brush and a can of carb cleaner to flush and brush the chamber every 30-50 rounds to remove this residue as well as letting it cool down for a spell.

If you get a stuck empty with a closed bolt, DO NOT pry the bolt open from the rear or risk breaking off the extractor. Dislodge the empty from the front by throwing the rod down the barrel.
BEFORE doing so, be sure your rod is marked with a marker pen to the depth from muzzle cap to bottom of an empty case. Measure by gently inserting the rod and if the mark is the length of a loaded round above the muzzle cap you have a LIVE ROUND in the chamber!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I have seen so far it looks like the M75 is the only brass cased 8mm available, online anyway, besides '50's Yugo which seems to have a lot of problems with split cases so I haven't considered using it, I just wondered if (M75) was hot like the Turk ammo?

I don't think I'm going to shoot steel cases, too much chance of breaking an extractor.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
M75 is not stoked to the max like Turk, but it probably uses a slowish powder that may make it troublesome in semi-autos, even those with adjustable gas.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Dislodge the empty from the front by throwing the rod down the barrel.
BEFORE doing so, be sure your rod is marked with a marker pen to the depth from muzzle cap to bottom of an empty case. Measure by gently inserting the rod and if the mark is the length of a loaded round above the muzzle cap you have a LIVE ROUND in the chamber!

The thought of an accident in those circumstances sends a cold chill up my spine.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
The other quirk to the Hakim is the type of powder in the rounds. It has a decided preference for what it likes and some ammo tends to quickly accumulate a lot of fouling, leading to jamming problems as well as accuracy deterioration as the muzzle brake clogs with gunk.
While the poly coating on the steel case 80's Romy is a problem that has to be dealt with, I got through a good 100 rounds of it yesterday without a single glitch. Hakim behaved well, for a change, and ammo was accurate despite a strong wind.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
While the poly coating on the steel case 80's Romy is a problem that has to be dealt with, I got through a good 100 rounds of it yesterday without a single glitch. Hakim behaved well, for a change, and ammo was accurate despite a strong wind.
I thought windy conditions were ideal for shooting Romy ammo because of the smell.:laugh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.