Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not fire my guns, just collect them, so first question:
How common is the failing to extract a spent casing problem some of the time with these guns? What can be the cause of this problem when the casings are not split and the extractor seems to be intact?

Second question:
I sold a Yugo SKS to a neighbor of a friend (a face-to-face sale) a year ago. We did not talk about any warranty, but I told him I never fired the gun. He took at least an hour inspecting it before making the purchase. About 2-3 months later he came back complaining about an extraction problem. We took the gun apart, cleaned and oiled the moving parts, including the gas cylinder. No contact for the next 9 months. Now a year passed and he called asking for a full refund citing the extraction problem. After some arguments, he reduced his request to a $50 gunsmith inspection fee. I offered to go with him to the gunsmith and pay the $50 if he says that I should have known about the problem. The buyer backed out going to the gunsmith, now just wants the $50.
- I find it really "odd" that he came back a YEAR later. How much warranty - if any - is customary in similar face-to-face sales? I know most online sellers will give a 3-day non-shooting inspection period, but once the buyer fires it, it is out of warranty.
Would you ever give a 12-month warranty on a used gun?
What would you do in my place? Opinions?

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Unless there isn't something in writing, a sale of used working equipment is, I believe, legally considered AS IS. I would expect you have no warrenty responsibilities, implied or otherwise, with the exception being if you sold goods that you knew to be inoperable as 'operable'. Used refrigerators should keep things cool. Used TVs should be able to get Channel 13. And so forth. Personally, I think you are being too nice. With the offer of helping to spend cash to fix the problem you certainly sound like an honest person, and not like someone trying to merely pawn off an inoperable weapon. I guess it comes down to how responsible you feel that the gun doesn't function. But...you are assuming the gun hasn't been tampered with or otherwise rendered inoperable by the new owner. Don't put it past someone to screw something up, inadvertently or otherwise, and come back on the unsuspecting seller.

Regarding extraction and used guns. A while ago, I bought an M1 carbine in a FTF transaction (for an extremely good price) without doing much research on them first. Once I got around to shooting it (that night) it failed to extract rounds as well. I might get one or two cycles, then nothing. Had I known more, I would have seen the bad extractor. I didn't, but instead of whining or crying to the seller (who in my estimation is an honest fellow---he said he hadn't shot it either), I considered the transaction final and took the opportunity to learn the M1C system and fix it. Honestly, after one year, your responsibilities towards this rifle are, IMO, long past your concern.

Keith

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,836 Posts
I'm sure most would say there's no warranty requirement for a FTF weapon sale like this, however you might want to consider how friendly you want you and your neighbor to be from here on out. Could it be he just has buyers remorse?

·
Registered
475 Posts
agreed, a new gas valve will most likely fix the problem.

a 3 day non fire return period is common on this type of transaction

I would not pay the gunsmith and would advise my friend not to pay him ether. any smith charging a $50 examination fee should know sks's good enough to know that the gas valve is problematic. if he doesn't know sks's well enough to know this he shouldn't be charging anyone $50.

I would offer to buy him a $10 gas valve from CNC to retain the friendship.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Heck, buy it back for exactly what you sold it for, never sell anything else to the guy, and sell the gun to someone else. If you don't want to shoot it for some reason just replace the gas cutoff part referenced above, let your new buyer know you'll stand behind its performance for 30 days, and shake the dust from your feet. Sounds like your buyer is a real twit. You don't want a gun with your name in its transfer history in the hands of a guy like that anyway. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.