Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,965 Posts
The stock is from a FN, but is for a model 1924 which had a intermediate length receiver. FN also made the model 1930 which is a standard length receiver, your rifle should drop right into one of those and would be "correct" as a Yugo rework. I think FN made both a model 1924 and a model 1930 that used the waffle buttplate.

That's definitely not the stock that the Yugoslavs put it into. It should have a cut-down Gewehr 98 stock, and should have the bolt take down ferrules and Imperial proofs, among other aspects.
Pat

· Registered
2,965 Posts
How would it be 'correct as a Yugo rework' if dropped into a FN stock? The Model 1924b series never used anything but Gewehr 98/Mexican Model 1912 and domestically produced Yugoslav components.
you are right. I was thinking of a FN made model 1930 receiver, when this is a recycled German receiver. The model 1930 stock should fit, and as these rifles were made/modified by the Yugo's to mimic the FN, the look would be appropriate, but as you point out not technically correct.

· Registered
2,965 Posts
Do you have a picture of the bottom metal/trigger guard? Does it have lock screws?

I have tried a half a dozen different ones. (Even a couple from post war FN sporting rifles) The one shown fits the best, except the front is too long as pictured.

It is a standard length action. I put 3-4 different bolts in it. All closed including one from a Interarms Mark X.

Action does fit the stock, which does not appear to have been altered.
The trigger guard on a Model 1924 measures approx 8 1/4 inches. On a Model 1930 approx 8 1/2 inches. Measure the opening on your stock, if it measures less than 8 1/2 inches it is a model 1924 stock and your Imperial German trigger guard, which is standard length, will not fit.

· Registered
2,965 Posts
I am getting more confused than when I started this thread. ;)

1) Is the conclusion that the stock is NOT correct for this rifle?

2) If stock is not correct, what rifle is it thought to be from?

3) What trigger guard do I need? GEW fits except for the capture screw extension at the front.
1) Stock is not correct

2) Probably for a Yugo Model 1924

3) Your trigger guard is the correct type, standard length, what you need is a stock for a standard length receiver.
From what others have stated ( I am not that familiar with the model 1924B) the original stock for your rifle would have been a modified
German Gew. 98 stock. Others that should fit, Yugo Model 1930 stock, German K98k stock, Czech VZ-24 stock, and any other made for a standard
length large ring receiver. If you decided to go with a Yugo Model 1930 stock, I think they are still available from Springfield Sporters or other
surplus dealers.
hope this helps, runner

· Registered
2,965 Posts
It is an often repeated myth that you can differentiate between the Model 1924 and Model 1930 by the placement of the lock screws. The Model 1930 was made with the lock screw both to the rear and in front of the front guard screw. I have two model 1930s with the lock screw in front of the front guard screw: one a prewar chinese export with the large FN crest, the other probably postwar, made for the IDF. I also have 1930 models with the lock screw behind the front guard screw; one with large FN crest over the date 1938 (another Chinese export) a model 1930 Greek and a Model 1930 Columbian, these three have the lock screw behind the front guard screw. All five rifles are standard length actions.

Also the OP existing stock is not a FN model 1930, if it was it would be a standard length action and his Gew. 98 trigger guard would fit. He has a FN or Yugo stock for a model 1924 which is the intermediate length, that is why his Gew. 98 trigger guard does not fit. IF he had a model 1930 stock he would be good to go.

· Registered
2,965 Posts
Geladen, I respect your opinion, and I am not trying to be agruementative, I have rechecked my rifles. The FN with the standard length trigger guard is the same length as a Gew. 98 trigger guard. As you know FN did not number the trigger guards or floor plates on the model 1930, so I can't say for certain if the trigger guard is the one it left the factory with. It has no chinese marks, but no FN marks either. (my other model 1930 trigger guards that have the guard screw inside the action screw are unmarked as well. I think part of the confusion is with the nomenclature , FN model 1950. I don't think FN ever made a rifle they classified as a model 1950. My belief is that is a collector term for post war rifles that are double broach cut. In my mind the IDF rifle is just a late production model 1930.

having said all that, you are obviously more familiar with the model 1924B than I am. I just purchased the collectors book on Serbian and Yugo Mausers, I guess I better start reading it. Anyway this has been an informative and enjoyable thread, and we all agree the rifle is worth saving.

regards, frank aka runner

You miss the point that the FN1930 and G98 trigger guards have a different overall length (see post 28). The stock is for a FN1930, or more likely with that buttplate, an FN1950.

Your Chinese FN1930 probably has a Chinese or other non-FN trigger guard. The original would have been shorter overall and with the front lock screw to the rear of the front action screw. The FN1950 rifles made for Israel were an exception. They had a K98k (G98) type trigger guard and were also put in a semi-clone K98k stock.

Regards,
Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.