Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased from an online auction that had it described as a "VZ-24".

I understand the history from doing some searches here and elsewhere. What seems to be odd, it that this rifle seems to be missing markings compared to what I found online.

No evidence of it being scrubbed. It was missing the bottom metal, shroud and firing pin assembly. I bought it with the plan to sporterize, but always try to research before I take a rifle into pieces.

From these pictures, what of the history can you tell me?

Thank you!

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The M1924B rifles were made from leftover/captured German parts... yours has German proofs on all the parts. If you have the complete gun, I wouldn't sporterize this one. There are many other less interesting rifles to chop, or find a chopped one.
Yep, this is why I always look into rifles and actions that I don't know about.

I have a dozen actions ahead of this one, so it will be set aside or parts found to put it back together. I have recently acquired a stash of Mauser parts, so I'll see if I can match the serial number on some of the parts.

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More pics.

Bottom metal doesn't fit the inletting? This is a magazine box with "Imperial" proofs, I think. I'll take a closer look tomorrow. Have another auction to attend tonight.

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is my matching 1924b

As others have said its a rare treat to find a matching bolt on one of these
Do you have a picture of the bottom metal/trigger guard? Does it have lock screws?

I have tried a half a dozen different ones. (Even a couple from post war FN sporting rifles) The one shown fits the best, except the front is too long as pictured.

It is a standard length action. I put 3-4 different bolts in it. All closed including one from a Interarms Mark X.

Action does fit the stock, which does not appear to have been altered.

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rifle is locked up for the evening, but from Google, it would appear that I need a trigger guard with the lock screw behind front screw like this one.
Bummer. I have many actions and trigger guards, but none with this arrangement. I did go through my parts and come up with a shroud and safety lever with Imperial stamps.

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This picture is of an intermediate action. The Gew 98 which is a standard or long action has the locking or "capture" screws on the opposite side of the trigger guard screws.
I am getting more confused than when I started this thread. ;)

1) Is the conclusion that the stock is NOT correct for this rifle?

2) If stock is not correct, what rifle is it thought to be from?

3) What trigger guard do I need? GEW fits except for the capture screw extension at the front.

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I used to think this also, until someone on this forum corrected me. Check your 1930 Venzualian FN Mauser, lock screw behind and standard bolt will go and lock. It seems to be something FN did.

I thought I had seen this arrangement before. Sold a sporterized Venezualan last year, which is likely where I saw it.

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
1) Stock is not correct

2) Probably for a Yugo Model 1924

3) Your trigger guard is the correct type, standard length, what you need is a stock for a standard length receiver.
From what others have stated ( I am not that familiar with the model 1924B) the original stock for your rifle would have been a modified
German Gew. 98 stock. Others that should fit, Yugo Model 1930 stock, German K98k stock, Czech VZ-24 stock, and any other made for a standard
length large ring receiver. If you decided to go with a Yugo Model 1930 stock, I think they are still available from Springfield Sporters or other
surplus dealers.
hope this helps, runner
It does help, thank you.

I have a VZ24 stock on hand. The upper/front wood piece fits, but the band location is different than the existing stock.

Help me understand the difference, briefly, between this Model 1924B and the "Yugo Model 1924" if you don't mind.

Does this stock have any value? It is the work of minutes to inlet the GEW metal and complete this rifle with the components I have on hand. (I am not a collector). I will not sporterize this action, as it clearly has collectable status. I do not have much interest in spending the time/money putting it back to original.

If the stock has value, I'll sell them separately instead of altering it.

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If I had the subject rifle I would want to restore it because of the matching bolt. The current stock is FN and is unsuitable. I would buy a M1908 stock and handguard, those being readily available, and I would buy a G98 trigger guard, floorplate, follower, and magazine spring.

I have finished assembly of the bolt with the correct era parts and have the trigger guard. Have not yet checked my parts stash for the correct follower, spring a floorplate, but the future owner will have less work to do.

It seems to me to be a worthy project. The M1908 stock will lack the bolt disassembly disks of the G98, but early G98 stocks did not have those disks anyway.

It does sound like a worthy project. For the right person. That would not be me. That is why I ask these type of questions. I have a drawer full of Mauser actions. So, no pressing need to take this one apart.

The M1924b was the G98 and M1912 rifles rebuilt by the Yugos to resemble the M24.

Thanks. That is how I was thinking, but your clarification is what I was looking for.

Your stock has some value as a FN1930 stock so long as you do not cut out wood in front of the trigger guard to make a G98 trigger guard fit.

That was why I asked. I knew if it had any value, it would go away with the inletting.

Regards,
Bill

Thanks for clearing up some questions and giving me the information I needed to make an informed decision.

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I hope this type of question is allowed. If not, let me know.

Sorted through my parts and have found all of the metal needed to complete the trigger guard assembly. The only part I am unsure of is the follower. It may not be of the correct era.

Now I need to know a fair price for the completely assembled metalwork and a fair price for the stock.

Any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Bill,

Have done as you suggest for the barreled action on GB. I took some good pics of it yesterday before the rain started. I'll have to wait for the rain to stop before listing the stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.