Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about Mauser 98 variations on another site just the other day. In the section on Yugo Mausers, it was stated that they have thicker barrels than other contemporary Mauser 98s, like Kar 98Ks and Standard Modells. It supposedly had to do with the Yugoslavs not trusting their slightly inferior steel and adding a little thickness to compensate. I grabbed my calipers and took a few quick measurements. I only did a couple examples, but I didn't find it to be true. Anybody know more about this?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Think about it, the limiting factor here is the barrel and and threads. The Yugo, like most other LR 98's, has barrel threads measuring 1.100"x12 TPI. That said, none of the Yugo barrels I've replaced have been appreciably different in size than any other 98 barrel. Contour of course, is different.

The feature of the Yugo 98's that was designed to combat defective ammo was the safety breech.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Th
Think about it, the limiting factor here is the barrel and and threads. The Yugo, like most other LR 98's, has barrel threads measuring 1.100"x12 TPI. That said, none of the Yugo barrels I've replaced have been appreciably different in size than any other 98 barrel. Contour of course, is different.

The feature of the Yugo 98's that was designed to combat defective ammo was the safety breech.
[
Thanks. I'm aware the shank size is the same. I think the reference I was talking about was a general comparison of the barrels along their length.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the greatest pressure is at the chamber where the metal at the bottoms of the threads is at the smallest, adding additional girth further from that pressure peak would be pointless.
Yes, you're right, of course. Thanks. I guess your comment about the Yugo barrels you've replaced not being different in thickness from other Model 98 barrels confirms what my own measurements led me to believe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.