Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have been trying to remove the drift pin for the rear sight to install a S&K scout mount.

So far I have destroyed two 3/32" and two 1/16" drift punches, and barely moved the pin.

I'm guessing this is a metric pin (pretty crafty, huh?) as it is smaller than 3/32" and larger than 1/16". I don't have a metric to inch conversion table.

Does anybody know what size this pin is, and/or have any suggestions on how to remove it?
Buying new punches is getting expensive.

TIA

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It's not a pin. They are pivot points for the sight leaf. You need to press the sight leaf down at the "pin" end and then slide the leaf towards the receiver. This will remove the leaf. The flat spring under the leaf may be quite stout and require significant pressure to depress the leaf.

Vlad

·
Registered
658 Posts
I learned that same lesson on my Yugo SKS!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not a pin. They are pivot points for the sight leaf. You need to press the sight leaf down at the "pin" end and then slide the leaf towards the receiver. This will remove the leaf. The flat spring under the leaf may be quite stout and require significant pressure to depress the leaf.

Vlad

OHHKAYY!!!
Since I drove the left side in about 1/16", what harm have I done?

·
Registered
5 Posts
rear sight pin for your 48

Some rear sights didn't have the pin, but from what you have described as having moved it 1/16", I assume that yours does. From whacking it so much you probably have buggered up the ends, so that it wont pass through the sight blade. try going from the other end and use your shortened broken 1/16 punch as a starter punch. Once the pin is moving through the blade bolster, switch to a regular 1/16 punch to finish the job. Lube the area with penetrating oil for about 15 min. before going at it. Have fun!
Mike

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some rear sights didn't have the pin, but from what you have described as having moved it 1/16", I assume that yours does. From whacking it so much you probably have buggered up the ends, so that it wont pass through the sight blade. try going from the other end and use your shortened broken 1/16 punch as a starter punch. Once the pin is moving through the blade bolster, switch to a regular 1/16 punch to finish the job. Lube the area with penetrating oil for about 15 min. before going at it. Have fun!
Mike

Thanks for the help.

It sounds like not all of these Mausers use the same sight configurations. Mine looks like the same version as found on my M38 Swede, with a thru pin. It sure looks to me like the opposite side of the pin (on the bolt side) has moved an equal amount, so ......

I looked at my leaf carefully, but could not see any way for the leaf to come out by pressing down & sliding it back - there is NO sign of a groove anywhere on the end of the leaf. What should I be seeing if that is the way to remove mine?

The end of the pin is very slightly buggered up, but not enough to stop it from being driven thru it. The leaf will still move freely, so maybe I'll be OK. I believe I'll use a 1/16" dowel pin, instead of risking what's left of my punch. It seems to me that a shorter pin will be less likely to bend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts