1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,534 Posts
As much as bubba's make my stomach turn, that one looks presentable.
The metal parts look outstanding with a crisp crest, and that less common CXC/FN origin. Really nice find. I have yet to buy a bubba'd rifle, but I would have certainly bit on that one for $89!!

Since you have a stock to drop it in, that should turn out to be a really nice save!

Post some pics of her when she is back to wearing some proper attire.

Congrats! T

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think you made out pretty good! That one sure looks like it can be restored to it's former glory. We are proud of you for rescuing it...kind of like getting the ugly little puppy at the pound :p

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nice save for $89! Hope you can get it back to milspec. The blueing looks good in the pics. Is the bolt matching? Perhaps you could have it bent back to horizontal. I am still looking for a FN produced Yugo M24. You did well.
D.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Very nice rifle.

Looks like a long ago sporter conversion for deer hunting. Probably put venison on the table for a family that needed it by a guy who couldn't afford to get an expensive Remington or Winchester.

Has a history of it's own....been thinking......50 years from now, maybe collectors will be sitting around wondering just what happened to all of those great 1920's to 1950's examples of classic Americana firearms artwork done by the lionized working-class, 'do with what you have' stalwart individuals. They just may wonder why someone would ruin such an expensive collectable to return it back to it's original military configuration.

Just a thought.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many a K98 or other Mauser was customized..sporterized for G.I.'s while stationed in Europe.. the payment would often be in cigarettes. Obtained in the PX ,by the G.I.'s, for cheap but prized by the civilian populace. A couple of cartons of Luckies could go a long way as trading fodder.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You should see the VZ-33 my dad picked up a couple months ago. Very similar modificatons to this Yugo except its had Lyman peep sights put on. It was an all matching Vz-33 before someone improved it. Its well done but it would have been a real beauty left alone.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Wow...

The last time I posted about a bubbaed rifle, the Mods took it down within the hour.
I'm surprised that this one is still here.

But while we're waiting, I recently got what was left of a very nice Swedish M-94 Carbine for $100.
If I can ever find a stock for it, there might be hope.

Scored an original rear sight and base for it at a gun show for $20, which I didn't think was too bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess I can understand the original intent of modifying the M24, and quite frankly, I think the guy did a good job considering the probable situation, the need of a hunting rifle back when it was popular to "sporterize" a Mauser. I hope you are able to find an original stock. I think the M48 stock will fit nicely, but to find an original stock would be wonderful, if not somewhat difficult.

Kevin in Or.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts