Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is another recent acquisition. I don't know if these are common, however I thought it was interesting that this rifle was made from a WWII GEW 98. I had not previously seen one.

·
Silver Bullet Member
555 Posts
Yugo GEW

That is something you don't see everyday. Very nice looking rifle. Thanks for the photos.

Ski

·
Silver Bullet Member
283 Posts
Very nice rifle - I have seen a bunch of these but none made on a GEW. Mine is the more typical K98k rebuild with a new Yugo barrel. How is the bore in this one?
Greg

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Very nice.:D

These are a real gray area for me.
Branko refers to a number of these (gew98) being converted into "model1924b" in the 1930s (or 39-'41(?) I'd have to reread that section in detail).
I suppose it is possible this is a post war refurb of one of those?

Hopefully John Wall or others more knowledgeable nor I will pipe in with specific details.

·
Silver Bullet Member
555 Posts
Gew rework.

Nug,

You see frequently GEW reworks in Russian captures. Could post war Yugoslavia have accumulated these in post war reparations or battlefield pickups? They could have easily found their way into the 1948 conversion program. Just a guess.

Ski

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Could be either, of course, but I'd WAG that it's a German-converted Gew98 that was captured by the Yugos in K98 configuration and put through their refurb program. Either way, it's a nice-looking gun. The YC K98's are much better looking than the RC's.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
any or all is possible.

That looks like the German sight and a prewar Yugo conversion replaced the rear sights. So I'd say that rules that out.

Too, the laminated stock would not be found on a prewar rifle unless it came later which I was thinking when I made my first comment.

Like yer flag there Hrvatski. :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
To the Yugo's, a 98 mauser action was a 98 mauser action during rebuild/refurb. Lots of possibilities...

Germans also built 98k's using salvaged GEW 98 marked recvr's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts