Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a YC K98 at a pawn shop for $125.00 I bought as a shooter. It has a good bore and has some unscrubed birds but is a mixmaster. I've counted 5 different WaA numbers so far. I think the the reciever is a 1938 S/423, I can just make out the S and the 23.The 38 is still pretty clear. I am sure it was rebarreled. The action is very smooth with a nice trigger.

My question is about the stock. It is a normal looking red glue laminate with cupped butt plate and bolt disassembly disks but it has two cross bolts. One in the normal postion and one (pic) at the trigger guard area. I have seen this type of stock on a couple of Russian captures too. It has a 5 digit serial number stamped inside the barrel channel and takes a 12.5" cleaning rod. Does anyone know whats up with the extra cross bolt? Thanks

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
It's intended to repair or prevent de-lamination or cracking.
A bit ugly, but on a shooter it's a plus as it strengthens the stock right where they like to crack.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You hit the nail on the head I think. There is a slight bit of delamination just behind the cocking piece. Nothing of any importance but I took a needle and 2-part epoxy and filled it in anyway. There was a crack I needed to repair in the front band / bayonet lug area anyway.

The stock is pretty well beat up and dished out behind the take down disks not mention just plain filthy so it will not be anywhere near pristine at any rate. I may just light sand and satin poly coat this one as it is only suitable for a shooter anyway.

BTW - I used Castrol Purple Power to remove the oil/cosmo/dirt finish and it did one hell of a job. I found out about it from the guys using it to get rid of all the goop on those .308 A2s from India. Probally not what you would want to use on a collectable but it really does the job on a shooter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts