Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not very versed in AK's. Local gunshop got a Yugo in. It's a wood stock with the standard pistol grip but the stock is painted black (Is that kosher?). It was imported by American Arms. Has a muzzle break on it (aftermarket?). The detent pin on the front of the muzzle is not fixed and it has a bayonet lug. Three digit serial number around 950.

Seems like a solid rifle. It's in very good condition, clean bore, and has a very nice trigger, (as AK's go). It comes with a pair of drum mags too. They want $600. for it.

Is this pre-ban, post ban, worth it?

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
51,821 Posts
AA was one of the original importers of Yugo AK's, it could be a pre or post ban but in either case the deal is very good with the drums, run back there and buy it right away.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,418 Posts
Yugo AK rifles are good variants. I'm not sure about painted black furniture. With a painted stock and even with two drums ($89.95 each) not a great price but not bad either, IMHO. I believe Yugo AK's are available at $425-$450 or so without the drums or painted furniture. If the painted wood does not bother you or if you could strip and refinish it perhaps an OK deal. Replacement Yugo wood will be $$.
My .02 cents.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
Wow. As a guy who started building AKs two years ago I can say that for $590 you can buy a $200 Yugo parts kit, a $30 80% receiver blank, a $60 set of compliance parts, and $200 worth of tools, and you can build all the AK's you want. Why stop at just one? After that first investment you can crak out Yugo AK's for the $290 each.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe Yugo AK's are available at $425-$450 or so without the drums or painted furniture.
Wow! Yugo AK's must be really expensive where I live. I saw one in a local gun shop for 600 dollars, for just the rifle itself (no drums). I almost bought it because I really wanted one, but I just couldn't quite part with the 600 dollars, plus tax to bring it home.

LD

·
Registered
71 Posts
One other reason I didn't buy it was because the part numbers didn't match. I was in a big hurry when I checked, so I could be wrong about that, but that was my impression. I've acquired a number of Mosin Nagant rifles that all have matching numbers except for one of them. Is it common for numbers to be mismatched on Yugo AK's?

LD

V

·
0 Posts
Century built AK's will be non matching numbers . They are remade from stripped down parts kits. Dosent realy matter though . To get a matching one ,you would have to turn to buying one built from a matching kit .

·
51,821 Posts
If it was imported by AA it's not a CAI built gun, it should be all original yugo, if the drums are yugo as well they are worth $600 alone. I would go look at very closely and determine exactly what it is. With the influx of CAI guns someone is bound to mismark an original. It's like comparing a Mar's import CETME to a CAI version....

·
Gold Bullet member
1,302 Posts
mriddick is right.....buy it if you can. The overwhelming majority of Yugos are kit builds or CAI made monkey guns, although to be fair the Yugos seem to be decently built. It's a good price including the drums which you can always sell for $100 ea. or more.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow. As a guy who started building AKs two years ago I can say that for $590 you can buy a $200 Yugo parts kit, a $30 80% receiver blank, a $60 set of compliance parts, and $200 worth of tools, and you can build all the AK's you want. Why stop at just one? After that first investment you can crak out Yugo AK's for the $290 each.
I am also looking to purchase an AK, but I need to quickly get up to speed on what to look for and what to avoid.

I have even less available time than I have money, and the money is not necessarily in great supply either, so I will need to purchase something already constructed.

With that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions for what I should look for that might be a good purchase for 600 dollars or less?

In general, I have learned that what I hear from the average gun shop employee on military related firearms is usually not something you can take to the bank, so to speak.

LD

V

·
0 Posts
The century yugo is your best bet. or any yugo ak for that matter . Check the trader here or on other ak specific web sites. Sometime some real nice ak's are availablefor decent prices. Avoid new romanian stuff sold by century (WASR).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

It's interesting that in the gun shops around here, the WASRs are about all you see most of the time. It's probably because they turn more quickly at the lower price, and they look new.

LD

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think this is a Century Arms put-together. The rifle is solid feeling and seems heavier than my Arsenal milled AK. It is clearly marked American Arms on the right side of the receiver. On the left side it is marked zatava ______ (spelling?).

I didn't get off work in time to make it there today but will go check it out in greater detail tomorrow.

·
51,821 Posts
I'd be interested in what it is, if you pass please let me know and I'll buy it...I'd even give you a finders fee ;) As for makes of AK's I'd be more concerned looking for straight sights, pulling the carrier all the way to the rear and see if it sticks (not halfway back it's common for them to stick there. but all the way back), etc....

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
yugo manufactured imported 1988-89 only book 300 for 60% to 650 for 100% the gun is the same as the mitchell arms that was imported 1986-1989..both will original yugo recievered i would seriously be looking at it if i saw it what is condition??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts