Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently acquired this rifle. I must pay credit to Nuthernug, as I read his posts, this made me more aware of the various type of Yugoslavian rifles. Specifically, his recent post talking about 1924 cavalry Carbine stocks. When I saw this rifle I immediately knew what it was. Thanks Nug!!

The bolt doesn't match, but it is a 1924 bolt.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Wowee!

Hey hey! That there's an original,... unrefurbed,... prewar carbine! :D

First and foremost, that looks like a shellac finish and in discussion with John Wall among others, we are certain that this finish is original to the rifles. Sooo don't mess with it! :)

Secondly, your rail markings make it made before 1932 so the stock cartouche should be that of Alexander I Karageorgevich. I'd appreciate to see a pic of that. The serial number will give you the exact year it was made.

The only fly in the ointment, and just guessing here, is that the bluing appears almost as if it was intentionally polished off!?
Considering the rarity of these, I wouldn't be at all concerned about the mismatched bolt though that will inevitably affect the collector value. On that note, may one ask (somewhere about anyway) how much one paid for it??? :eek:

Finally, thanks for the credit but I'm just passing on information others have given me. I am grateful it enabled you to recognize something of worth that might otherwise have been over looked.

Congrats on a very fine acquisition! :D

·
Gold Bullet Member
768 Posts
Nice looking rifle you have there Jim.
I saw a carbine today that was all matching with a Peter II cartouche and only for $500.

Rad

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nug here are the other photos you asked for. I paid $150 for this rifle. I also included a photo of the wrist area of the stock as there were numerous proof marks there. In the bright sun the stock really glows!

Regards JIMMY C

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
$150!? You got a steal then!:D In my neck of the woods 24/47 are now going for $159 (that's way high, granted) if you can find them.

You's has a mixed history. The serial number on the receiver ring calls for a 1930 manufacture. The side rail markings are consistent with that. But I believe the Carbines are associated with the late 30s only. The stock cartouche is that of King Petar II Karageorgevich used from 1934... consistent with the carbine configuration.

The little inspectors marks??? John wall knows a lot more about those than I do. Just looking at Branko's book poses more questions than answers (to me at least:rolleyes:).

The crowned M Branko identifies as Markovich Milutin but identifies the mark with models 1880, 1884. You C Stands as S Stefanovich identified with many models but predating the model 1924.

These could be some of Branko's errors or perhaps the stamps were handed down to the next generation of inspectors. Hopefully John or others more knowledgeable (I just skim the surface) than I will drop in.

Still, a very nice find, especially for the price.
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts