Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have an across the boards favorite commercial ammo for your handguns? Or a different favorite per caliber or purpose? And why?

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,843 Posts
Whatever is the most cheap.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,105 Posts
For range ammo, whatever is on sale at the time. I've shot lots of Sellier and Bellot, Blazer, WWB, and even the infamous wolf. No problems with any of them.
Lately, though, even cheap ammo isn't cheap, so I'm starting to reload for my pistols.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
For defensive purposes any premium brand JHP will suffice.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
For the "bang/buck" angle, I really like Monarch green box in the handgun calibers. I could (it's been a while since I bought ammo) buy a box of 50rd. for $5.86. I don't think it's gone up, but I don't really know. It's privi-stamped brass, and cleans up very nicely for reloading.

·
Registered
701 Posts
.38 Spl-whatever is cheapest
.357 Magnum-Speer 158gr. GoldDot
9mmP-Federal 9BP
.45ACP-Federal 230gr.HydroShok
Clark

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Federal Hyra-shocks or Hi-shocks for anything CCW or potentially defensive.

WWB and Remington green box for practice.

The hydra-shocks are some of the best hollow point ammo for semi-auto pistols available to the general public.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,843 Posts
How does the Hydra Shock compare to the Black Talon ??

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I haven't shot Black Talons in a while.

The reason why I like Hydra Shocks is the profile of the bullet itself.

It feeds and chambers like ball ammo.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Winchester's SXT bullet is identical to the Black Talon except for it's color. Shades of political correctness!!!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
^^but the Black Talon is t3h c0p ki11ar bullet!!!

I know several folks (private armed security and LEO alike) that preferred the Ranger SXT over the Fed. HydraShok and Remington Golden Saber. I've shot the Pow-R-Ball Cor-Bon ammo and liked it a lot. I also hear very good things about the DPX, but never fired it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,305 Posts
Been reloading all my pistol calibers for so long that I can't even remember the last box of commercial ammo I bought.

Lately I've been quite partial to Remington and Winchester for .45ACP. A shooting buddy burns up a couple hundred rounds per session & I reload the once-fired brass:D

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
While it will no doubt irk the fans of certain brands of ammo, I happen to know the head R&D engineer at one of the USA's major ammunition companies. I asked him what JHP handgun bullet is the "best" and he told me what I posted earlier. All of the major companies' premium JHP loads (XTP, SXT, Golden Saber, Hydra-Shok, DPX, Starfire, etc.) perform close enough that you are well equipped using any of them.

Find the one that (a) functions 100% in your handgun and (b) is the most accurate. But remember, (a) is the most important factor! At present I use Cor-Bon 115 gr.+P DPX in my carry gun and Black Hills 147 gr. JHP in my "nightstand" gun.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
...the reason why I mentioned the profile of the H.P. projectile.

There are a lot of publications that re-invent the wheel and will write that the newest trend or offering from the manufacturers is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I had a deputy from a neighboring county come into my shop last year ant tell me that "Based on the departments extensive tests they will be buying a big order of Hornady TAP ammo."

The problem was that this ammo hadn't been released to the wholesalers and distributors for purchase yet.

TAP had several write ups in popular gun rags to drum up sales, but was not released for sale.

I told the deputy that it wasn't available yet and he left disgusted.

I kept the rest of what I knew to myself.

His Lt. (who normally does the purchasing) came in later that week and purchased several thousand rounds of WWB.

I asked the Lt. if they had been testing any other brands.

He laughed and said, "I buy what is cheap and works."

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
We have a local PD that has an "officer's choice" handgun policy that allows them to carry any handgun they can qualify with (but NO single action pistols) as long as it's 9mm Para or larger. Previously they had issued the .40 caliber Beretta 96 and so, for a while officers were required to supply their own ammo - JHPs only - if they used anything but a .40 S&W. But things got so out of hand that the new chief set a policy that the department would issue ALL service ammunition(Speer Gold Dots) and woe unto any officer caught using something else on duty.

At present the department supplies their officers with the 9mm Para, .357 Magnum, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, 10mm Auto, .45 GAP and .45 ACP.

While I agree with the "officer's choice" policy in theory, in fact it looks like a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Only the smaller departments around here offer officers choice, and many of they now have a minimum standard due to the "that guy" effect.

(The guy that shouldn't be, but is; and proves it everyday)

Most departments around here do the opposite and use ball ammunition.

Everything is done for economy and has been that way for years.

Back when my department offered officers choice it was because the issue was a warn out wheel gun.

If you choose anything outside of the issue you were to provide your own ammo for it.

(Later partial reimbursement was offered.)

Most of the officers that stayed on preferred their own weapon to an issued piece and didnt seem to mind buying a few boxes of ammo every other quarter.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I personally like my reloads for my 45cal. XTP 200 grain bullets with 8 grains of IMR 800X. A little light but really accurate at 25 ydrs.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've always bought CCI Blazer aluminum cased ammo in .45 and 9mm, cheap, accurate, very clean burning, and USA made.

I've just started reloading 45acp this month and will start to phase out commercial ammo.

Also looks like the cheap 9x18 ammo is a thing of the past.

·
Silver Bullet member
49,409 Posts
magtech hot accurate

32cal flow through problematic cz 70/50s like hot butter, very accurate( i shot 18 rounds off rest into a group smaller than the palm of my hand at 18 paces :D ) would not cycle rem/ win through a whole clip.:confused::eek: reliable due to the extracture grove leans more to european spects / and federal over all,<>school teacher

1 - 20 of 20 Posts