Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
clips

Regular 8x57 Mauser clips work fine in my M46. The are loose and sloppy and do not fit, but feed like corn thru a goose.

I just drop them in and drive the cartridges into the magazine with four fingers of my right hand. I have found various rifle magazines take cliploaded rounds differently, some easier and some more difficultly, but my 46 with the wrong-sized clips gobble them up.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Last evening, I found one more 6.5 clip. I didn't know I had 3. Guess I'll have to give that one to Keith, or maybe keep it as I may get another 9.3x62. Although, with the .375/06IMP, I've already got a fast 9.3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I may return to load details for a moment. I'm shooting a CZ550 full wood in 9.3x62 and hunting mainly Asian Water Buffalo with it. I haven't fired a factory round at all, just bought 50 Norma cases and 40 S&B cases. I'm using CCI LR primers, and first up I found the primer pockets a bit tight. You have to press a little harder to seat them properly. Also with S&B cases the primers flatten very easily. It has nothing to do with pressure because extraction is easy and the case web mic's out OK. I'm loading 250gn and 286gn Woodleigh Protected Points because they are made here and are very good bullets. My powder of choice is Varget or as it's known here 2208. I'm running 58gn behind the 250gn bullets and 57.5 with the 286gn. Bear in mind that these are new cases and not fire formed. I'm looking forward to upping the load a bit when I've fire formed all my brass. The 250gn bullets are for longer range on a deer species we have here called a Sambar, roughly the size of an Elk.
John

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
my only use of the 9.3x62 was last july in africa, i was ask if i would like to shoot a cape buffalo cow with it and i said yes, back up was a cz 550 .375 H&H, but it was not needed. i did use the cz 550 on a eland as that was what i was carrying at the time. the 9.3x62 was in a MS with 2x7 scope and the shot was at about 80 yds eastbank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regards the 9.3x62 et all

Ackely's tests certainly are interesting, instructive and entertaining, but in no way can be said to be comprehensive or even scientific. For example, loads tested among the various actions are not identical and were not even pressure tested and thus actual pressure comparisons cannot be made. In addition, due to differences in production and heat treatment used among the various makers and under varying wartime conditions, I would not personally be comfortable pushing the envelope on the basis of a couple actions blow up. For example, witness the differences between the Rem and Rem/Eddy 1917's. these were two factories making the same action. What is to say that two different production runs of Arisakas or more to the point, husky's or CG's don't possess widely divergent strengths.

When it comes to the 9.3x62, I would think prudence and the desire to preserve one's face would encourage very careful loading {read; downloading} of 640 series rifles when built on 94 actions or 94 strengthened actions. Whether FN 98's used in 640-series rifles are actually stronger is unknown to me but certainly they possess a third safety lug and vastly better gas handling features not found on a 94/640-type. I'm willing to concede that some modern actions can handle loads generating better than 2300 fps with 285 grain bullets, but if it was my rifle and my face at stake I would not push the 640.

As has been noted by Pettson regarding catastrophic destructions of 6.5 96's a while back, lug shear in a 94/96 can be devastating where the same shear in a 98 has a much better chance of not being, due to the third lug and better gas handling. Herr Mauser thought the same thing and didn't add those safety features just for smiles and giggles.
What I never hear discussed: is the effect heat has on a gun. If you trust the actuarial stats the insurance companies use, many guns are "lost" in home fires. The fact is that some of these actions are salvaged and re-stocked. Then they are sold without alerting the buyer that the gun may not retain even half of its original strength. Beware!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What I never hear discussed: is the effect heat has on a gun. If you trust the actuarial stats the insurance companies use, many guns are "lost" in home fires. The fact is that some of these actions are salvaged and re-stocked. Then they are sold without alerting the buyer that the gun may not retain even half of its original strength. Beware!
While it is true that a fire can destroy the heat treatment of a rifle, think about this; How many folks are going to invest the money to restock a rifle and refinish it when the going rate for said rifles is a mere $350? A decent stock and bluing will run twice that.

That said, I'm constantly amazed that people will gravitate toward a cartridge that has built its reputation as a solid reliable killer of game even though it is a low pressure round, and then want to somehow modernize (magnumize) it. With some of the modern powders, loads netting in excess of 100 fps of factory loads can he attained whilst still meeting CIP pressure standards. For those wanting more, the 9,3x64 will easily deliver.

The Husqvarna 649's are light weight rifles, I have several as is the M46AN. They are much more enjoyable with factory loads or BOOK max loads than they are with hot rodded loads. Those wanting to load to 64K PSI would be better off doing so in a cz550 which is a heftier rifle made of modern steel.

Earlier in this thread, I believe it was DK that pointed out that each Mauser action was built around the cartridge it was intended to fire. Thus, heat treatment was designed for that action for that cartridge.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
While it is true that a fire can destroy the heat treatment of a rifle, think about this; How many folks are going to invest the money to restock a rifle and refinish it when the going rate for said rifles is a mere $350? A decent stock and bluing will run twice that.

That said, I'm constantly amazed that people will gravitate toward a cartridge that has built its reputation as a solid reliable killer of game even though it is a low pressure round, and then want to somehow modernize (magnumize) it. With some of the modern powders, loads netting in excess of 100 fps of factory loads can he attained whilst still meeting CIP pressure standards. For those wanting more, the 9,3x64 will easily deliver.

The Husqvarna 649's are light weight rifles, I have several as is the M46AN. They are much more enjoyable with factory loads or BOOK max loads than they are with hot rodded loads. Those wanting to load to 64K PSI would be better off doing so in a cz550 which is a heftier rifle made of modern steel.

Earlier in this thread, I believe it was DK that pointed out that each Mauser action was built around the cartridge it was intended to fire. Thus, heat treatment was designed for that action for that cartridge.
I agree 100% what is stated by Z1R

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I love these resurrected threads. If you are pushing any 286 gr. above 2300 in a 46 I hope that you are using a long string to pull it off with. My 640 only runs S&B factory 286 gr. 2280fps.
I have never been disappointed by the Prvi Partizan 285 factory loads I run through my 46AN either. I've never chronoed them but would venture to guess that they pretty much duplicate your SB velocity.

The Prvi works equally well in my 640's. Being built on FN commercial actions, strength isn't a real concern, but given the rifles' light weight, recoil quickly becomes one as velocity increases. With factory loads these sub 7 lb rifles (open sights only) are downright pleasant to shoot.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.