20 Posts
Date: April 2005
Cartridge: 9.3x62
Firearm: CZ 550 American
Scope: Leupold VX-II 1-4x
Case Make: Graf
Barrel Length: 23.6"
Rifle weight with scope: about 8.75 lb

IMHO, I believe the following loads should be restricted to rifles based on a 98 action or modern production rifles.

-------------------------------------------------
Bullet: Woodleigh RN
Bullet Weight: 286 gr
Powder: RL-15
Powder Weight: 58.0 gr
Primer: WLR
C.O.L.: 3.30"

Chrono Summary
Average Velocity: 2,393 fps
Average Energy: 3,638 ft lb
High Velocity: 2,410 fps
Low Velocity: 2,372 fps
Extreme Spread: 38 fps
Standard Deviation: 12 fps

Bullet: Prvi Partizan
Bullet Weight: 285 gr
Powder Weight: 59.0 gr
C.O.L.: 3.30"

Chrono Summary
Average Velocity: 2,407 fps
Average Energy: 3,667 ft lb
High Velocity: 2,423 fps
Low Velocity: 2,390 fps
Extreme Spread: 33 fps
Standard Deviation: 12 fps

Bullet: Nosler Partition
Bullet Weight: 286 gr
Powder Weight: 57.0 gr
C.O.L.: 3.34"

ChronoSummary
Average Velocity: 2,356 fps
Average Energy: 3,526 ft lb
High Velocity: 2,375 fps
Low Velocity: 2,335 fps
Extreme Spread: 40 fps
Standard Deviation: 11 fps

Some load data I compiled back when I was working up loads for my rifle:

Also, how do you rate the recoil compared to a .30-06 for example...?

While the recoil in total ft lb is greater than my Ruger M77 MkII in .30-06, of course, I find the recoil of my CZ 550 to be a relatively slow, gentle push. I think the velocity/rate of the recoil is slower, or spread out more over time, due to the relatively lower muzzle velocities. I've found cartridges such as a .300 Weatherby give more of a sharp, very quick jab to the shoulder. My Ruger M77 Magnum in .375 H&H (which weighs about 10.5 lb with scope) firing a 300 gr bullet at around 2500 fps has distinctly more recoil than my 9.3x62. That's one of the reasons that I really like the moderate medium bores such as my .35 Whelen and 9.3x62.

Cheers!
-Bob F .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some load data from the article "Medium Mediums" by John Barsness in the December-January 2008 issue (#250) of Handloader magazine:

From the article: An asterisk (*) denotes a “deer load,” somewhat reduced in velocity from maximum, and has a point of impact almost exactly the same as loads marked with two asterisks (**).

Cheers!
-Bob F.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bob Faucett: Have you used '06 brass? You list yourself using Graf's, but the chart shows some of the gunwriters using RP, etc brass which I assume to be '06?
No, I've never used .30-06 brass to make 9.3x62 cases. Of course, I've read magazine articles where others have done it. Yes, the R-P brass listed in my chart above was .30-06 brass used to make 9.3x62 cases by the authors listed (Finn Aagaard and Steve Gash). When I acquired my CZ 550 rifle back in 2005, 9.3x62 brass was easily available via the Internet so I never bothered with converting .30-06 cases.

Has anyone miked the base of Graf's versus say, regular {Rem, Win, etc} .30-06 brass?
I've never measured it before now but your question made me curious so I just measured some. This is from new, unfired brass. I just measured two cases of each cartridge.

W-W .30-06 - base diameter .464"

Graf 9.3x62 - base diameter .473"

I don't have any other brands of either on hand to measure. But, just based on this small sample, it would seem that making 9.3x62 cases out of .30-06 brass may not be such a good idea. I've read where the base dimension spec for the 9.3x62 is slightly larger than the .30-06 but I had just never measured actual cases until just now.

Here's some cartridge drawings for comparison. (I assume these are Max spec dimensions shown in the drawings).

Drawings courtesy of http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

What MAKE is Graf's brass?? Is it merely Prvi Partizan? How does it hold up?
I've read different things on different forums but I never have seen a post IMHO that authoritatively stated the manufacturer of Graf's brass. My GUESS would be Prvi, since Graf's sells their bullets and loaded ammunition but that's just my guess. I've been very happy with the Graf 9.3x62 brass. I've reloaded cases up to fives times with no problems. (I generally don't reload rifle brass more than five or six times.)

I hope this has been of some help......

Cheers!
-Bob f.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The trouble with this cartridge is that I hear of incredible velocities being generated, but I cannot verify them as fact, such as 2500-2600 fps with 286 grain bullets.

IF such loads are safely obtainable, which frankly, I doubt, they must be running at incredible pressures, pressures that the 96-type actions shouldn't be subjected to, at the very least because of poor gas handling features.
LeeSpeed,

Scroll back up and look at the loading data from John Barsness that I posted. He states that the loads were pressure tested and all are under 60,000 PSI. (I don't know where he pressure tested the loads, and it's not stated in the article, but I know from other articles by him that he lives close to Ramshot Powder's headquarters and has used their pressure lab in the past.)

One of the loads he lists is a 286 gr Nosler Partition with 66.0 grs of Ramshot Big Game powder at 2495 fps. But, I agree that 2600 fps with a 286 gr bullet is probably not attainable within safe pressures limits. 2600+ fps with 250 gr bullets seems to be no problem, however.

BUT, I agree with you that such loads should probably NOT be used in a model 96 action. If I had a 9.3x62 on a model 96 action I would probably drop the RL-15 powder charge down until I reached about 2250 fps with a 286 gr bullet. BTW, 2250 fps is the spec velocity for the 9.3x62 with a 286 gr bullet listed in my 1936 Kynoch/ICI catalog reprint.

Regardless, I'm happy running my CZ in 9.3x62 with 286 gr bullets at around 2400 fps (give or take a little). The recoil level is pleasant to shoot and it's very effective on game. I've got a .375 H&H if I want more velocity.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.