Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to expand out to the mosin nagant in terms of reloading. Figure i'll order some brass and bullets soon from Midway. I am looking at the 147 gr arena like the origianl loading; however, I see that guys on here are reloading a 174 and getting some good data with it.

What are some of your best reloads and which gr bullet do you prefer?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Most of my loads have been in the 174-200 grain range.

With the 174 SMK, try from 43-45 grains of Varget. I get great groups with the same bullet over 52.0 grains of IMR 4831, as well.

I've had decent luck with the Sierra 180 SP (flat base) for a hunting bullet, also over Varget. (ETA: Some of my Enfields love this bullet, as well. So, if you load .303, it's another versatile option.)

For the 200 grain Lapua D166, I use 43.5 grains Varget (just shot high score in vintage class at a CMP shoot with this load in my M39, last weekend). For the D166, seat it to the top of the crimp groove and give it a light crimp.

For brass, Prvi is the best all around for the money. Lapua is the best, period. Winchester and S&B have been very short-lived for me. Keep in mind that Prvi brass has a very deep primer pocket, so be sure to get your primers seated all the way in when using that brass.

For primers, I use mostly Tula. Winchester will work in some brass, but seems a little loose in Prvi.

Hope this helps,

John

·
Registered
19,240 Posts
Some people have reported good loads using .32 (#1??) buckshot over a powder puff load for 25-100M plinking.
BUT that isn't a standard load, and if you want to do that (much cheaper too, little powder, inexpensive ball) I would suggest you find or develop a safe load, as this would not be lab tested.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Mosinitis mentioned plinking loads and that reminded me.....

I believe this was the Hornady bullet, meant to be used in 7.62x39. They work great in 54r, though. Just a bit short (load to cannelure).

John

·
Registered
541 Posts
44 to 45 grain of imr 4064, reloader 15 or varget. winchester primer.
in .311 =sierra match king, in .312= graf's hornady fmjbt. Have 1 or 2 rifles that like the speer roundnose flat base 180 softpoint bullets. if you're getting PRVi for the brass and want adecent shooting bullet to begin with; the blue box 180 grain fmjbt often performs best, the softpoints aren't great for accuracy. (at least that seems to be the trend with the rifles i shoot)

·
Banned
6,075 Posts
hornady has two that work well ..guns can be picky.. imr 4350 works...gonna try some rl15 soon..
the 174 3105 dia fmjbt
and
the 174 rn..lots of bearing surface...

i also shoot a cast bullet 314199 maybe 299...its just over 200 gr with 10-21 gr of imr 4227....1500-1700 fps...crank the sights up...

mike in co

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm working up some loads using Reloader15 and IMR4895 and a Sierra Match King 303 bullet. I'm working with 2 M44s and 1 M38. The accuracy of all 3 rifles is somewhat dismal so I figured I had nothing to loose.
The IMR4895 is printing a tighter pattern than the Reloader15. The next batch will be 36.5 gr of IMR4895 and 37.0 of Reloader15. I suspect the IMR will be the best load. It typically is and it's a superb powder.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Season to taste with 4895 0r 4064 ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've found a lot of my Mosins have pressure issues with true .311" & .312" projectiles. Seems every Com-Bloc projectile I pull is .310", so that would explain the over-pressure problem with .311+ projectiles.

Of course, don't let the .311" on the box of projectiles fool you. Many company's .311" projo's are actually .310".

My most accurate load is actually using the 123gr FMJ's for the 7.62X39. Lapua's 123grain FMJ-Hollow-Base can be an extremely accurate projectile out to 600 yards or so. It's a true .311", but I haven't had any issues with it in any of my Mosins. Winchester's 123gr FMJ (.310") is also rather accurate. The X39 projo's are cheap in bulk...

·
Banned
6,075 Posts
while it is wise to start lo and work up IMO these loads are TOO LIGHT.
i see very low pressure, which means a poor burn of the powder.
most powders have a pressure range they LIKE to burn at...and you are at about half of that with these loads.
give me your OAL..and i'll run more numbers but i see you at 1600 bar for a gun that starts at 2200 and goes to 3900 bar.
this will give a lack of accuracy.
mike in co
I'm working up some loads using Reloader15 and IMR4895 and a Sierra Match King 303 bullet. I'm working with 2 M44s and 1 M38. The accuracy of all 3 rifles is somewhat dismal so I figured I had nothing to loose.
The IMR4895 is printing a tighter pattern than the Reloader15. The next batch will be 36.5 gr of IMR4895 and 37.0 of Reloader15. I suspect the IMR will be the best load. It typically is and it's a superb powder.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
while it is wise to start lo and work up IMO these loads are TOO LIGHT.
i see very low pressure, which means a poor burn of the powder.
I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a load book in front of me, but from experience, I would probably be in the 42 grain range as a starting load with IMR 4895. Please check some published data on that, but I know that Mike is on the right track, there.

John

·
Platinum Bullet Member
664 Posts
Where do you normally buy your materials - bullets, brass, primers, powder? Will the .311s work OK? I'm just thinking about jumping into reloading for my Mosins and Enfields.

·
Banned
6,075 Posts
WELLLthere aint nothing cheap..but
start with a couple of books and read them...
if you still want to continue.then there are two routes for the mn...a press and no press...
lee makes a handloader for the 7.62x54r.......it is limitied to 308 to 312 bullets..so no large cast bullets( i shoot some 314).
and the cost is easy...
the kit is less than 30 bucks from midway or such...
then a caliper..inexpensive harbor frieght 6"
i would jump in with a lee or similar priming tool..much more fun than tapping them in ..ouch...
again a inexpesive good scale is the lee.....
small funnel

if you buy a few boxes of wolf gold..you have reloadable brass...same with s&b...or win if you find some.....
an alternative is lapua at about 80bucks a hundred....not for the faint of heart.
primers anywhere local..1000 at a time...so they are all the same for a while
bullets probably order them but shipping sucks..try for flat rate priority mail.
powder while i like 8's one pounders will do to start..local cause shipping and hazmat will kill ya on small orders.

find some buddies and go in on powder primer orders and split shipping/hazmat.

the 123/125 gr bullets seem to work ok..either 308/310 311.....start there and work up....
mike in co

·
Platinum Bullet Member
664 Posts
Thanks guys - you are all very generous with your time and information...and tolerant of those of us just getting started!!

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,105 Posts
Where do you normally buy your materials - bullets, brass, primers, powder? Will the .311s work OK? I'm just thinking about jumping into reloading for my Mosins and Enfields.
Powder Valley has a great selection and some of the lowest overall prices I've seen....

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Graf & Sons, Widener's, and Natchez can also be good sources and are worth checking out

http://www.grafs.com/

http://www.wideners.com/

http://www.natchezss.com/

Unless you've already done it, you might want to slug your bore to determine the actual groove diameter on your rifle. Groove diameter on Russian Mosins can vary quite a bit from .310 to as much as .313, and if you have a bore that is on the "big" side your best accuracy is probably going to come with .311 or .312 bullets. I suppose if you want to stick with just one bullet diameter for both your Mosin & Enfield then .311 would be it.

·
Banned
6,075 Posts
313...that is a collector...lol...
how about 315 and 316......
so yes slug the breech and the muzzle......

mike in co
Unless you've already done it, you might want to slug your bore to determine the actual groove diameter on your rifle. Groove diameter on Russian Mosins can vary quite a bit from .310 to as much as .313, and if you have a bore that is on the "big" side your best accuracy is probably going to come with .311 or .312 bullets. I suppose if you want to stick with just one bullet diameter for both your Mosin & Enfield then .311 would be it.

·
Copper Bullet member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems like some of you are getting good results using a 123gr x39 style bullet. Any issues with seating the bullet and how does it perform at long distance?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,490 Posts
Anyone ever try the 123gr FMJ's for the 7.62X39 using quick powders like Unique or 2400?
I know some folks use 12 grs Unique in the light 125 gr jacketed 8mm Mauser. I've read where it runs about 1600-1700 fps and bumps the pressure up quick for a good burn, Ray

·
Banned
6,075 Posts
no...just not worth the potential safety issues to me.
too easy to double charge.
i do cast bullets with low charge weights..BUT i drop ONE powder charge and SEAT a bullet.
too many good powders to use with lite bullets...
mike in co

Anyone ever try the 123gr FMJ's for the 7.62X39 using quick powders like Unique or 2400?
I know some folks use 12 grs Unique in the light 125 gr jacketed 8mm Mauser. I've read where it runs about 1600-1700 fps and bumps the pressure up quick for a good burn, Ray

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.