Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a compliment to my rifle collection, I'm an active buyer of photographs showing Japanese troops carrying or otherwise using rifles and handguns. Below is one of my favorite photos. It shows a young soldier in full gear holding a Japanese T-30 rifle with mounted bayonet. I'm guessing the time frame is in the early 1900s, but can't tell for sure.

C/

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
That is the best photo I've seen of a Japanese solider in a long time....maybe the best ever? Do you have any others? I'm doing one of my SGN articles on the Type 99 and am desperate to find some photos of troops armed with them.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm doing one of my SGN articles on the Type 99 and am desperate to find some photos of troops armed with them. Many thanks.
I saw your posting about T-99 photos over on the Japanese Forum. Currently, I only have photos of troops with T-38 rifles and those of earlier vintage. In another of my collections, I do have a photo of a Japanese housewife with a T-99 rifle who was undergoing what was called "soldier for a day" indoctrination. I'm not sure of the copyright status of this photo; I believe it was taken from a series of wartime articles published in the Asahi Shimbun.

C/

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I'd love to see it. Most photos from that period are so old that they are no longer covered under copyright.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd love to see it. Most photos from that period are so old that they are no longer covered under copyright.
Possibly no longer protected, but let me locate it in my archives first. If (when) I do, I'll post it here for you to examine.

C/

·
Registered
320 Posts
... It shows a young soldier in full gear holding a Japanese T-30 rifle with mounted bayonet. I'm guessing the time frame is in the early 1900s, but can't tell for sure.

C/
Thanks for sharing the photo! Every time I see a photo like this, I find myself hoping that the person(s) therein managed to survive their Troubled Times and then lived a long and happy life.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every time I see a photo like this, I find myself hoping that the person(s) therein managed to survive their Troubled Times and then lived a long and happy life.
Assuming he was around 18-20 years of age in 1904 (best estimate of when this photo was taken), he would have been in his mid-late 50s at the outbreak of the Pacific War in 1941. This also assumes he survived any WW1 service.

C/

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Hey Krag, I'll check to see if I have any photos of troops with the T99. I'll post later if I find any.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Krag

I guess you got you T99 sniper picture, as you haven't followed up on my offer on the Japanese boards to redo the picture at higher res.

Here are a few more of my Kokura T99 sniper #280.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
03Man - sorry about that. We have a medical emergency in the family that has kept me preoccupied. I'll see if we can use some of these ones.

If you'll e-mail me your name I'll include it in my "Thanks to....." paragraph.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Looks early 1900s. IIRC the Japanese Army uniform at the start of the Russo-Japanese War was dark blue with white leggings but they soon changed to a more practical khaki
one.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Krag

You do not have your email turned on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts