Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for not having pics.

I was passing through a nearby shop the other day and looked at a Mauser for $250. The clerk said it was negotiable. The trouble is, I couldn't identify it other than 8mm and a model 98. It's probably not original condition (see below). Bore showed consistent pitting--call it fair condition. The length of the gun was in the carbine range, like a Yugo 24/47 or a 98k.

Is $200 a reasonable offer for something like this, maybe $150 for a Spanish Mauser? My thoughts on it would be to use it as a deer rifle and a shooter.

Here's what I can tell you from looking at the gun:

It did not have markings or a crest that I could see, and there were no obvious scrubbing marks. If it was scrubbed, it was done well.

Why I think it isn't original: It was a straight bolt but the stock featured the little mill-out for a bent bolt knob like you see on a 98k. The bolt was blued and looked to have been done rather haphazardly. The back of the receiver had two holes drilled probably for a now-missing peep sight (and they looked to be a little misaligned). The stock itself was a light colored wood like beech (like a lighter-colored Turkish Mauser stock). It seemed to have a lacquer-like finish rather than oil, perhaps refinished, but not too recently.

Of curse, any educated guesses as to what it might be or a way to identify it would be great, too.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I stopped into the "ArmsRoom" in Christmas, Florida, to look at the huge 5 ton Army truck they have out front, and to see what they had inside.

Mostly "black guns" that they can make or order, and accessories. But, there were two Turkish Mausers and one Argentine 1891 Mauser that had been scrubbed, and cut down into a carbine , apparently by the Argentine government before sale as milsurp.

Though each had prices of $399 on them, all were marked down to $249. I haggled them down to $150 for the Argentine 1891 Mauser, with all matching numbers, but, missing a cleaning rod and sling. I simply stated that it was a caliber I don't have, is missing lots of parts, and other
resources exist for me to acquire that antique.

They did insist on doing a NCIS check ($5.00 in Florida), on a genuine antique firearm.

That is the clue they know nothing, and don't use the huge free internet resources to learn!

You could do better. Shops get milsurps cheap, or else... I was a car dealer for over 15 years,
and the next sale, is about moving inventory, at any small profit, because aging inventory just costs money!

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
Did the front sight have "ears" on it. Something like those on a M-1 Carbine or Garand? Full length handguard?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the front sight have "ears" on it. Something like those on a M-1 Carbine or Garand? Full length handguard?

Definitely the front sight had ears along the lines of the Garand.

Remembered something about the stock: It had the hole and metal piece in the butt that you use to compress the firing pin spring to disassemble the bolt.

The hand guard was not full length.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Based on Milsurp 2.0's link, I'm going to proclaim it a Wz-29. The color looks very much like the one he has. The only thing I'm not sure I remember is how the sling mounted on the butt.

Soooo.... how much for a Wz-29 with a receiver that got drilled and tapped for a rear peep sight? Pitted bore but looks shootable.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Based on Milsurp 2.0's link, I'm going to proclaim it a Wz-29. The color looks very much like the one he has. The only thing I'm not sure I remember is how the sling mounted on the butt.

Soooo.... how much for a Wz-29 with a receiver that got drilled and tapped for a rear peep sight? Pitted bore but looks shootable.
If the stock isnt sporterized, ie cutout for the peep sight or chopped down, get it as cheap as you can but the stock and bolt should be worth close to 200 if not more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.