Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after the RKShow today me and a friend went to the range to try out our new acquisitions. My Romanian TT-33, practically stolen at $170, shot fine. Todd's DPMS Sportical on the other hand started sticking. As in, it wouldn't close right before the lock.

Cutting to the chase, neither of us knew how to close the bolt without a forward assist. It's embarrassing. But in all the years I've been shooting I've never come across an AR without a forward assist! Neither had he.

So what do you do in this situation? Is there anyway to get the bolt to close?

·
Silver Bullet member
12,903 Posts
the sportical is a newer no frills model, no FA. that's what i don't like about it. hammerhead, get your buddy to order a new upper receiver from bravo company. the DPMS probably just needs breaking in, but i want all the options on my AR.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I find that there are generally two easy ways to get a non-FA AR upper to close the bolt if it's having issues. That said, if it's doing this regularly that can indicate something else going on with the bolt or upper.

First is to drop the mag and lock the bolt to the rear using the charging handle and BHO. From there, without the mag inserted, try releasing the bolt and seeing if it closes normally. If it doesn't, spray out the entire upper with CLP or non-CL brake cleaner and clean the bolt really well, and try again. It COULD be that there is just some crud in there that's preventing things from functioning like they should. I had a buddy once with a used AR that he thought was a total lemon until he got the bolt apart and found that it was practically glued together with thick carbon buildup and a heaping helping of primer residue and sealant (guessing Wolf, but only due to the red color of the sealant and just how filthy it was). If cleaning it doesn't work I'd be looking at the bolt and/or chamber for things like burrs or a crappy finishing job that's caused the parts to be out of spec. Who made the bolt, do you know? On an in-spec AR the forward assist is one of those things that you shouldn't need to touch 99% of the time.

Second, if you absolutely have to you can manually manipulate the bolt forward by pushing on it with your thumb via the ejection port, using the cut-out portion of the right side of the carrier to put your thumb on. Of course, you should wear gloves when doing this. If you've fired even a short string of rounds that bolt will be hot enough to burn your naked thumb.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Never rely on a gun that needs another additional gimmick to even chamber properly.
Those things can get you killed. Get rid of it and buy an AKM.
Best Regards, A

·
Registered
65 Posts
Never rely on a gun that needs another additional gimmick to even chamber properly.
Those things can get you killed. Get rid of it and buy an AKM.
Best Regards, A
If you need to mash on the charging handle of an AKM to get the bolt closed you have a more serious problem that needs addressing. No semi-auto gun - be it AR, AK, FAL, G3, Garand, or anything else - should need "help" getting the chamber closed on clean, in-spec ammo. If you have to smack the handle to get it to go into battery you need to figure out WHY it's not going into battery and get that issue fixed.

If you have a show-stopping failure to feed or go into battery it's tap/rack/bang. If that doesn't work you either need to clean the weapon or address whatever problem it is that's screwing it up or, if you're actually using the gun for something other than being a range toy, switch to another weapon.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
disassemble bolt carrier, clean carbon from bolt, lube bolt forward of the gas rings

·
Registered
544 Posts
+100,000 yep check the filth see if there are any shiny spots on the carrier or recv'r make sure the gas rings are not lined up. Yeah, bash ARs they have been around 40 years and have neutralizied a whole bunch of people trying to do us harm. It's a fine rifle want total reliablity get a Mosin bolt action and let distance be your friend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Howdy, new here.
Avoiding ring alignment shouldn't be an issue, tho' it can't hurt I suppose. As advised, clean and lube it, and see what happens. Does the bolt go into battery if it is opened and closed with the CH? With an empty gun, it should readily go into battery even if you ease the BCG forward.
DPMS is okay stuff; it ought to work.
Moon

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
No semi-auto gun - be it AR, AK, FAL, G3, Garand, or anything else - should need "help" getting the chamber closed on clean, in-spec ammo.
Just ask anyone who is the proud but pained possessor of an "M1 Thumb".

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,901 Posts
I've had several AR's over the past years & have no clue on practical operation of that forward assist gee-gaw on the upper. With proper assembly & at least marginal cleaning every few thousand rounds or so & it cycles properly & closes all on its' own.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Is the bolt/carrier assembly dragging against the magazine you are using ? An out of spec mag can be the culprit...I'd check it out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as we can tell the bolt must be to big in "just the right places". While other AR-15's do not have any problem digesting 200-300 rounds of American ammo (no Wolf), his loves to start jamming up after three or four magazines. He bought some PMags and a few surplus mags, neither stop the bolt. It happens just around the 120 round mark.

It should last longer than that right? He does indeed clean it, every time he visits the range he cleans it.

This is all DPMS Sportical. The entire rifle. So I assume the bolt is also DPMS.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Another possibility might be a too weak recoil spring. Also a semi-auto carrier is lighter in weight than a full-auto one. Changing to a full-auto carrier might solve the problem if the recoil spring is not at fault. Just another thought. HTH

·
Registered
512 Posts
Personally, I never cared much for the forward assist assembly on my M16A1's, or on the XM177E2 I carried in the RVN, though it does LOOK much better with than without one. It takes a simple jam and makes it worse. Better to eject the damaged round and try again with the next one in line. Just my two bits' worth.

·
Copper Bullet member
10,096 Posts
I have a Sportical DPMS receiver and have never had a problem, just got back from the range and put 60 rounds through it without a bobble, also own a 604 Air Force model Colt upper without forward assist and have never had a problem. Maybe the chamber needs cleaning?

·
Silver Bullet member
12,903 Posts
if the rifle was bought new, call DPMS. also, you can push out the rear takedown pin, tilt the action, and push the bolt carrier from the rear for more force. but, i gotta agree with kabanchik, jamming things forward can make a bad experience.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.