Gunboards Forums banner
101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Apples and Oranges. AKs are classified as assault carbines. FALs / L1A1s are classified as Light Machine Guns / Battle Rifles. AKs are spray and pray, hence the reason that large capacity AK drum magazines are so popular. FALs have the ability to reach out and touch the enemy.

Sleeve Poster Font T-shirt Fictional character

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The BAR my father was issued
My buddy's dad carried a BAR in Aachen, the first German city entered by US troops in 1944. (I recall Stephen Ambrose saying in a lecture series, that's where American commanders learned the most important lesson about urban warfare: Don't do it.)

My buddy's dad never talked about it. I happened to work with him for a while in a small business, and regret not bearding the lion with something like, "Forty years is long enough - what was it like?"

Recently his son had an opportunity to buy a BAR semi- built by the Ohio shop. I told him the following, pretty certain what the outcome would be:

"Thirty years from now your grandson will say to people, 'My great-grandfather carried this in the Battle of Aachen.'"

I think my buddy ordered it the next day. 😁 I felt slightly evil but have no regrets. :)

101 - 120 of 144 Posts