1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The BAR my father was issued
My buddy's dad carried a BAR in Aachen, the first German city entered by US troops in 1944. (I recall Stephen Ambrose saying in a lecture series, that's where American commanders learned the most important lesson about urban warfare: Don't do it.)

My buddy's dad never talked about it. I happened to work with him for a while in a small business, and regret not bearding the lion with something like, "Forty years is long enough - what was it like?"

Recently his son had an opportunity to buy a BAR semi- built by the Ohio shop. I told him the following, pretty certain what the outcome would be:

"Thirty years from now your grandson will say to people, 'My great-grandfather carried this in the Battle of Aachen.'"

I think my buddy ordered it the next day. 😁 I felt slightly evil but have no regrets. :)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Beat me to it. Without question, a milled receiver AK. Nice one, by the way.
Coincidentally, a WTS Valmet M-76 wood .223 thread is running at the same time as the last post on this one. It reminded me of that class of preban rifles for which places are waiting on my grail-gun high-altar, which is the one for .308 battle rifles. Including a Valmet M-78.
Air gun Trigger Wood Line Gun barrel

Not milled (I think), but still a pretty special AK.

The altar will not be accumulating any originals, alas. Maybe a clone once a decade or so.

Of course this thread is impossible; ONE gun? Please. ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts