1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sep 20, 2007 10:15 am US/Eastern

Yonkers Considers Banning Baggy Pants
Scantily Clad Women On Politicians' Crosshairs Too
(AP) YONKERS Saggy, underwear-revealing pants could be the target of a Yonkers ban under an anti-gang initiative be present to the city council. The Yonkers Violence and Gang Prevention Coalition wants a decency ordinance that would ban low-slung pants that flash underwear, as well as prohibiting men from walking around naked from the waist up and scantily clad women.

The idea is to foster a more dignified environment in the city's most crime-ridden neighborhoods, where such fashions flourish among gang members and ex-convicts.

The coalition's chairman Jim Bostic says the type of dress degrades our community.

He approached Councilwoman Patricia McDow about a decency ordinance. McDow says her staff is researching if such a law is feasible.

Yonkers is not the only community grappling with this issue.

Last month, officials in Stratford, Connecticut rejected a proposed saggy-pants law. Critics there said such a law would promote racial profiling and violated people's civil rights.

Yonkers Police Officer Ken Davis said a decency law could increase conflict between officers and the community. Davis says some people in southwest Yonkers reacted angrily when officers got in a scuffle with a man who did not clean up after his dog on Hamilton Avenue.

The New York Civil Liberties Union says people should have a right to dress the way they want.

(PS. I propose all Crack Pipes should be Burled Briar or Walnut!)

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,882 Posts
It would be a very difficult law to enforce. Too much judgment call with it.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
Instead of coercion, how about if they give a tax credit for "PLUMBERS BUTT CAULK"!

·
Silver Bullet member
34,486 Posts
They'd probably have trouble keeping the darker shades in stock...

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
What amazes me about this "saggy pants" phenom is this:

I am told by friends who are "correctional officers" that in the prison society, having one's pants falling off one's waist is a sign to other inmates that you have a boyfriend.

I've explained this to a few of these kids and they suddenly learned what belts were for...

DD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts