Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
Very, very bad !! :(

regards....roger

·
Administrator
9,469 Posts
Robo-Gun goes Awry...

Now I can just hear it...the Anti-gunners Chant...."Guns Can Kill people by themselves!!!! and without Human Intervention"... Bad Gun...go back to your Arsenal, or better still, be Euthanased at the Blast Furnace....

WRONG!!! The Computer program had to be set up by Human involvement.

Remember GIGO ( if you put Garbage in a Computer, you will get Garbage out...).

??Two Poles and a rope to prevent over-traverse??? where are we, in Toyland???

If the problem was already obvious, FIX IT before it gets worse and kills someone.

Who was the REMF who had responsibility for the programming and over-all "Fail-safe" mechanisms of this advanced piece??...Was there a manual over-ride???
What about the First Law of Robotics??? (No Robot shall harm a Human Being, or by inaction, allow a Human Being to be Harmed)

Unhappily, it happened in South Africa, not known for either open government or Sensible Gun laws.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking more along the lines of the "Terminator" movies....
Knock Knock, Who's there? Skynet!

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,955 Posts
What about the First Law of Robotics??? (No Robot shall harm a Human Being, or by inaction, allow a Human Being to be Harmed)

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.
Another Asimov fan - I should have known.

To the subject, maybe it's just me but I think we are not getting the whole story on this.

Godspeed to those soldiers.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
??Two Poles and a rope to prevent over-traverse??? where are we, in Toyland???

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.
I hadn't read the article completely before I read your post. At first I thought you meant "two Poles", as opposed to "two Czechs", or "two Latvians". I guess it was the upper case "P" that threw me off. I was wondering what Poles were doing in SA also.

Anyway, pretty sad for the soldiers and their families.

I'd say it's just another example of the danger involved when you give up responsibility to others, even it the "others" is a computer.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I think they could avoid the problem by installing a dead man switch. A person has to trigger it, and if the finger leaves the switch, the thing turns off.

CDFingers

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,138 Posts
Just out of curiousity, why were they using two 250-round cans of live ammo, instead of function blanks, until such time as all the computer "glitches" had been worked out?

It like in training, where the first "hands-on" live fire exercise is done with an almost-empty magazine, or a very short belt.

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
Just out of curiousity, why were they using two 250-round cans of live ammo, instead of function blanks, until such time as all the computer "glitches" had been worked out?

It like in training, where the first "hands-on" live fire exercise is done with an almost-empty magazine, or a very short belt.

Same reason why they use the V-22 Raptor in the Corps, even though it has killed dozens of Marines. I remember the last time I saw one, was just before it killed 20 Marines when it went down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts