Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This machette-like blade was uncovered near remains of 2-3 Japanese soldiers found in a gun cave on Peleliu. What is it? Guess it could be American since it was not unusual to find a BAR, rifle or US helmet inside caves. The Japanese often retrieved such items/weapons from the deceased on the battlefield...

This site is great...thanks for all the help guys!

-Eric

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
This machette-like blade was uncovered near remains of 2-3 Japanese soldiers found in a gun cave on Peleliu. What is it? Guess it could be American since it was not unusual to find a BAR, rifle or US helmet inside caves. The Japanese often retrieved such items/weapons from the deceased on the battlefield...

This site is great...thanks for all the help guys!

-Eric
The Japanese also took prisoners into caves and tortured them. :mad:

·
Gold Bullet member
4,323 Posts
Curious what specific data you are quoting that shows this was a regular occurence Shy. There is ugliness in every fight, including on our side. The Pacific battles had an incredibly low prisoner count, and it wasn't just because of Bushido.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,574 Posts
Eric, Thanks for all your posts. They are great. Keep them coming.

I find it interesting that all sides in WW2, to various degrees, committed war crimes. One must remember that Japan did not sign the Geneva Convention. No wonder both sides went over the top in the Pacific. But when I compare WW2 to what has happened in Iraq, which is amazingly small, Iraq problems are huge according to our wonderful media. Talk about putting things in perspective?!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Eric, Thanks for all your posts. They are great. Keep them coming.

I find it interesting that all sides in WW2, to various degrees, committed war crimes. One must remember that Japan did not sign the Geneva Convention. No wonder both sides went over the top in the Pacific. But when I compare WW2 to what has happened in Iraq, which is amazingly small, Iraq problems are huge according to our wonderful media. Talk about putting things in perspective?!
Hard to compare anything with WWII. There is definitely a core of journalists and politicians that want to liken our marines and soldiers to the worst of the worst encountered in WWII. The record shows much the opposite to be true. On rare occasion when a crime is commited we're quick to purge this stain from our ranks and certainly do not glorify or promote it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts