Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeee Haaa!

Topic author: arisakadogs
Subject: Yeee Haaa!
Posted on: 05/20/2007 11:01:19 PM
Replies:

Reply author: charles amato
Replied on: 05/21/2007 12:24:20 AM
That one is a beauty.Although I haven`t got one of them,in the last month and a half I`ve gotten
three inert grenades (type 91,type97 and a modified type 91 to 97),all from the same vendor Zenchengb.
I don`t know what kicked the grenade frenzy off,but as you have said in the past,QUOTE "most times all
the real bidding is in the last few minutes or seconds".And boy were you right.It`s like swimming
in shark infested waters,those last few seconds.Our friends over in China must be doing good,thanks
to WW2.Regards,

Charlie

Reply author: arisakadogs
Replied on: 05/21/2007 12:41:42 AM
Thanks Charlie, I was absolutely sure I would get wacked on this one at the last moment. Only other one I know of went for $1200!

Reply author: pacific-war44
Replied on: 05/21/2007 01:10:37 AM
Nicer than that"eye-apple" the other guy was hawking for $650...good score Rob!

Replied on: 05/21/2007 01:28:18 AM
Thanks PW! This is a nice looking & very scarce T-10 knee mortar grenade. It was replaced by the T-91 grenade even before Japan went to war with China. So, considering that few were probably made & those that were probably only went to China, I consider this a near miracle!

Reply author: BIG ED
Replied on: 05/21/2007 3:34:24 PM
tell us how long it takes to get here from china

Replied on: 05/21/2007 9:56:20 PM
It took 3 weeks to get my cap/firing pin for my 97.I suspect you could request Express airmail for more $$ and get stuff in less than a week.Works from Japan.BUT,lets play ye olde Devil's advocate here.How's the State Dept's ruleing effect these things being imported from China? Though no longer live,ect,they are still a group of viable parts to a weapon. And thanks to our buddy Bill Clinton,he banned Aks and handguns along with "other"weapons from China back in the 90's,and still in effect.I wonder if it includes old 'nade assemblies? No "alphabet men" showed up when my fuse parts arrived though.

Reply author: Nagoya10
Replied on: 05/21/2007 10:17:30 PM
I am wondering the same thing as pw44, is Customs going to pass a "hand grenade" through? I sure hope they do but it mainly depends on what the seller puts on the Customs form. If he puts "Japanese Hand Grenade" (I doubt he will do that) then it will not get through probably. I don't know how Customs classifies deactivated hand grenades, but if they open the package for inspection, I would guess it isn't going to go through. Hopefully the seller will ship it disassembled so that it is very clearly not active and not a weapon. I seriously doubt a Customs inspector is going to disassemble any hand grenade. He will let bomb disposal do that and they will just destroy it in place.

I hope I am not getting Rob worried! Most likely it will go through no problem.

Replied on: 05/21/2007 10:22:32 PM
Really? I won some fuse parts from this guy recently & they were here within a week.
Charlie didn't appear to have any problem getting his grenades from this fella.

Replied on: 05/21/2007 10:31:50 PM
Well thats good to know. Maybe I might bid on a grenade out of China in the future. At least you know it has come right from the battlefields!

Replied on: 05/21/2007 11:42:39 PM
I just lost out on a converted '91 to '97 for $168.Nice shape too.He must have found a FIELD of these things! It looked like it still had clumps of tetryl in it in the pic? Hope he cleans them out good,bomb sniffing dogs at customs could ruin the day on both ends of the transaction. I'd like to see the Paypal guarantee cover that one!

Replied on: 05/22/2007 02:09:33 AM
Parts for the `gnades are sent out in two seperate shippings a week apart.First part takes about a weekand a half to arrive,and about
three weeks from purchase date second half arrives.All items are stamped thru Chinese customs.They do a very clever packaging job
with the components,but I won`t go into detail here on the internet.
Some vendors on e-bay fill the `nades with lead,to comply with rules,
however,from what I can see the `nade bodies look very rusty and they
lose any paint that might have been on for the last 65 years due to
the filling operation,which I think is done by heating the body on
a stove and dropping in chunks of lead until filled,as opposed to
ladeling in the molten metal.Filled units are not necessarily bad,
we only want them for display purposes anyway,but if I had my
druthers,well---.regards,

Charlie

Reply author: Douglas I. Kerley
Replied on: 05/22/2007 2:44:00 PM
Hi; Years ago, just after the war, when they were relatively fresh, I used to deactivate Japanese Grenades by boiling them in a pot of water outside. The Pickric Acid would float to the top and I would ladle it off and and fling it into the brush. Now, 60-75 years later, the explosive is so sensitive it will go off for no apparent reason. These poor buggers in China are digging this stuff up on the battle field. I wounder how many diggers they are losing to satisfy the American eBay market for this stuff? How many Chinese peasants is it worth to have a Japanese grenade? Doug

Reply author: seinen
Replied on: 05/22/2007 2:57:07 PM

quote: Originally posted by charles amato

Guys,
Parts for the `gnades are sent out in two seperate shippings a week apart.Some vendors on e-bay fill the `nades with lead,to comply with rules, however,from what I can see the `nade bodies look very rusty and they lose any paint that might have been on for the last 65 years due to the filling operation,which I think is done by heating the body on a stove and dropping in chunks of lead until filled,as opposed to ladeling in the molten metal.Filled units are not necessarily bad, we only want them for display purposes anyway,but if I had my
druthers,well---.regards,

Charlie

Must cost a small fortune to ship a grenade body filled with lead, as opposed to just the empty shell.

C/

Replied on: 05/22/2007 10:47:32 PM

quote: Originally posted by Douglas I. Kerley

Hi; Years ago, just after the war, when they were relatively fresh, I used to deactivate Japanese Grenades by boiling them in a pot of water outside. The Pickric Acid would float to the top and I would ladle it off and and fling it into the brush. Now, 60-75 years later, the explosive is so sensitive it will go off for no apparent reason. These poor buggers in China are digging this stuff up on the battle field. I wounder how many diggers they are losing to satisfy the American eBay market for this stuff? How many Chinese peasants is it worth to have a Japanese grenade? Doug
The information I have says TNT was used in the grenades.

Replied on: 05/23/2007 09:33:03 AM
One thing I've noticed about this guy's grenades is that the firing pin on all of them is in the armed position. So he must not have found a store house of them but actual battlefield relics.

Replied on: 05/23/2007 11:54:17 AM
My parts definitely had dried dirt on/in them.Gotta be extricated. I wonder(tinfoil-hat portion of the thread) if Chinese Govt. officials are making a buck off using political/condemned prisoner labor to dig for these things and sell em off on Epay? I know I wouldn't want to be pushing the shovel! Nah,can't be,Walmart isn't involved in the process....

Reply author: raym
Replied on: 05/23/2007 12:08:46 PM
PW44, the Walmart Police are going to hunt you down!

Replied on: 05/23/2007 12:27:53 PM
They don't have far to go,I work there,heh. I sell guns for em,till they PC those out the door,then I'm going to BassPro down the road.

Replied on: 05/23/2007 4:07:24 PM
Hey! That grenade I lost out on has a twist. The seller gave me a second chance offer,at like $130,for as many converted t-91 to t97s as I want! Now I wonder if these aren't fakes? Charles,yours has the proper looking proofs on the fuse body,right? They LOOK kopesetic.

Reply author: ducati
Replied on: 05/23/2007 9:48:47 PM

quote: Originally posted by arisakadogs

Couldn't believe my eyes when this ended!

The seller just offered me as many as I wanted of these at my high bid of $238 and change on one I let get by me on ePay. Took him up on the offer, can't wait to see if these are "new made"!

Replied on: 05/23/2007 10:03:44 PM

Reply author: Jareth
Replied on: 05/23/2007 10:28:33 PM
Poor Rob. Seller's got a few crates of these rare (now common)grenades.

Replied on: 05/23/2007 10:37:00 PM
I have heard (but not experienced) that there are scams running on Ebay where after you lose an auction you bid on, you get an email stating you have a second chance to get the item. These scams result in nothing but your money lost. I doubt that is the case here since the seller has numerous duplicate grenades, but maybe it would not hurt to email the seller from the actual original auction and verify it is him sending the second chance and not a scammer. I dont know how they are able to use the seller's ID, but crooks always seem to know a way. Just an alert.

Replied on: 05/24/2007 12:22:04 AM
Yes,my converted t91/t97 has the kanji date of 1937 after the showa mark.It is stamped lighty around the
upper raised rim of the grenade body,but I have to read it with a magnifying glass.And of course the
original 7-8 second fuze was replaced with a 4-5 sec.fuze,as well as the propellant threads removed from
the base of the grenade.The weld blobs that were put on the outmost diameter ain`t pretty,but this is to
prevent anyone from mistakenly using it in a knee mortar.The base should painted white,but there is no
trace of it on mine.Remember,only t91`s had the body date stamped on them,so I know mine is original.
Regards,Charlie

Replied on: 05/24/2007 07:58:09 AM
It's not a spoof email,I've dealt with him before,unless warlord bandits ran into his house(hut) and took over his 'puter! I wonder why he isn't finding those Japanese supervised/manufactured Chinese-type grenades? I forget the designation. Maybe he'll post some bubonic plague bombs from Unit 721 next...hey Dougie,order one and give us a review on how it de-fuses.

Replied on: 05/24/2007 09:20:08 AM
I have two T-91 grenades (that I've had for years) and I can't make out any body date. Of course, the paint is in pretty good shape & may be covering the markings. I used to have one with no paint on it & I do remember the date being on the upper shoulder. Were all of these so marked??

The T-91 to T-97 conversions are interesting. I've always been curious about the weld blobs. From what I've read, the fuse on knee mortar grenades was initiated by "set-back" when the grenade was fired. Perhaps some soldiers struck the fuse before dropping the grenade down the tube?? That's the only thing that explains the welds to me. It sure would be a bad time to have a broken firing pin on your knee mortar with a fuse sizzling away in the barrel!

Reply author: unleashedndest
Replied on: 05/24/2007 10:53:46 AM
I got a type 91 from one of those guys a year and a half ago I was wondering if they were faking them, but they arn't they must have a load of these things they have flooded the market now.

Replied on: 05/24/2007 1:28:06 PM
From what I can see on E-pay and from what I have at home it looks to
me that all the grenades coming in from China have thier fuze assemblys fired,as all the firing pins are screwed down and RUSTED in
place,with consequental fired primers.Perhaps at the end of WW2 the
regieme then in place had the munitions de-activated by emtying the
TNT and in a seperate operation outside of the grenade body fired the
fuze assemblys with the covers/caps removed using a small hammer.As the war wound down,political unrest with the Chang-kai-shek government
may have played a big part in de-activation and de-mobilization of
now armed groups/camps of warriors who could be seen as adversarys for
take-over of the government.Just a thought.
Regards,Charlie

Replied on: 05/24/2007 6:53:05 PM

View attachment 13009
Download Attachment:
261.7 KB

Here are the markings on my t91/97 grenade upper rim.Reads from right
to left, 10,3,and 11 (November).Arsenal marking at left also very
lightly struck.

Charlie

Reply author: gtbehary
Replied on: 05/24/2007 7:12:09 PM
I am still waiting for a Japanese grenade/boobytrap from China. Auction ended on April 6. Nothing yet, so I probably got stiffed. I will probaly have to leave this guy his first Negative to his 100% positive rating. I have never had to leave a negative feedback yet. He responds by telling me that he sends his items by the slowest way, but two months seem a little much.

Replied on: 05/24/2007 7:17:56 PM
Customs may have snagged it.You may NOT want to investigate it's whereabouts,heh.

Replied on: 05/24/2007 9:39:27 PM

quote: Originally posted by gtbehary

I am still waiting for a Japanese grenade/boobytrap from China. Auction ended on April 6. Nothing yet, so I probably got stiffed. I will probaly have to leave this guy his first Negative to his 100% positive rating. I have never had to leave a negative feedback yet. He responds by telling me that he sends his items by the slowest way, but two months seem a little much.

It may still be enroute. I sent a package to Kuwait a few years back and it took over 3 months to get there as I just sent it surface delivery so it goes by the slow boat. In your case it appears to be the slow boat FROM China. I also had a saki cup from Japan take nearly 4 months to get to me, but that was an anomoly and must have got lost somewhere enroute.

Replied on: 05/24/2007 11:52:02 PM
Don sent me a butt plate for a '38 that took a month to get here thru only 4 states.The replacement(in case the first one was lost)only took 3 days.Same part,same route,go figure.

Reply author: ducati
Replied on: 05/25/2007 9:05:07 PM

quote: Originally posted by gtbehary

Now that is not right! Why should the seller take a negative strike for something completely out of his hands?! I highly doubt he decided to "stiff" you on this one item for grins. Think of the route it has to go to get to your door and realize it is a crap shoot. I just Paypal'd the guy close to $700 for a bunch of stuff, hope it makes it but if the postal freaks end up with the goods thats the gamble. I once had two WWI rod grenades nabbed by customs in the USofA, sent from england all in pieces. Idiots after 7 months finally sent them to me.

Reply author: gtbehary
Replied on: 05/26/2007 3:59:28 PM
I won't leave a negative, but I will leave a neutral with a comment. I was never asked how I wanted it shipped. I would have paid for airmail, but he didn't offer it. I am trying to figure out if his positive feedbacks are for real...many repeat buyers and none seem like familiar Japanese collector usernames. Maybe I am a little sceptical about all this stuff coming out of China...and I deal with the Chinese on a daily basis, just not on Ebay. I will be real happy if and when it comes.

Replied on: 05/31/2007 10:11:15 PM
Got my first item from my little (China) grenade spree. It's a nice T-97 fuse. You can tell it was dug, still the cover has the nice purple machinest dye still present. All the parts, including the spring are there. What suprised me is that the primer is still intact and the exhaust port is filled with wax. I've never seen another that had the primer untouched. I have one '97 that has a popped primer but the delay train & solder exhaust port cover is present - must have been a dud! The wax filled port is Showa 14 dated & the soldered port is 18 dated. No detonators present!!
Can't wait to see the rest of my catch that includes two T-10s.

Gunboards : http://old.gunboards.com/

© 2000-2006 Gunboards

1 - 1 of 1 Posts