Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m trying to remember what brand was that surplus 7.62/308 ammo was that wasn’t consistently.
Sorry I found it on you tube it’s India 308/7.62 ammo. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Sampson brand (Israeli made) was responsible for disassembling a bunch of rifles. Mostly M1A's and anyother semiauto rifle the above ammo that was fired in them.
Also one of the Spanish brands was loaded real hot and broke a bunch of rifles. believe the name started with a C. Frank

·
Copper Bullet member
9,811 Posts
Some Israeli surplus, with T Z 80 headstamps, was suspected to have some issues.

Reactions: Merle1948

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Indian stuff I bought was horrible, inconsistant loads, tar neck sealant...bleh. I bought it at the time because it was so cheap...bought a Century "G3" and a case of that ammo for under $400...both ended up being junk ( this was in '03 or '04)

·
Copper Bullet member
9,811 Posts
I've had good luck with both the Century G3 and Indian 7.62. Any of that ammo I've had, that didn't look roached in the package, has fired and reloaded just fine.

Reactions: Polock

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Sampson brand (Israeli made) was responsible for disassembling a bunch of rifles. Mostly M1A's and anyother semiauto rifle the above ammo that was fired in them.
Also one of the Spanish brands was loaded real hot and broke a bunch of rifles. believe the name started with a C. Frank
Israeli surplus “TZ80” was ripe with case head failures. Fresh and pretty from sealed 50cal cans I had a couple case head failures in the first box before I sent the whole shipment back to Century.

CBC 75 surplus was worse. The batch imported was from S American police and apparently had been tampered with as several rifles were destroyed by pressures estimated to over 130,000psi. This 75 date ammo was recalled by Century & CBC

Indian ammo is safe if not “match grade” from the early 1970s production In bandoliers. The bulk packed stuff say 1990 and newer is neither.

·
SKS GOD OF GUNBOARDS
1,701 Posts
If you could see the restricted and suspended ammo list from the US alone you would just die Millions of rounds have problem lots. At least the US does destroy this stuff hopefully now by pulling it down and using the parts that are ok. to make new ammunition. I had some boxes of Cavim that would not function in my M1a. Never had any hot stuff.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Pre-2000, I bought 500 rds. of CAVIM. It jammed up my H&K 91 twice within the first box so I set it all aside. About 6 years ago, I ran the remainder through a 1919 and had no issues. Looks like decent brass so I will be reloading it.

A warning was sent out for for CBC 75. Packages were supposed to be marked "Reengastada" or something like that. I've stayed away from any CBC 7.62x51. Won't chance the Indian 7.62mm, but YMMV.

Type 96 LMG

·
Registered
91 Posts
CBC, 7.62MM X 51MM CALIBER CARTRIDGES

RECALL: It has come to our attention that CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from lots dated 1975 may pose a serious safety risk. The specific cartridges in question bear the headstamp "CBC 7.62 75".

We hereby provide written notice to you that a potential hazard may exist with respect to outdated CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges. There is a reported risk that such cartridges may cause excess pressure upon discharge and could result in serious bodily injury or damage.

Under no circumstances should these cartridges be used, given to anyone, or sold.

There have been isolated reports of rifles bursting as a result of excessive pressure in what appear to be these outdated CBC cartridges. An independent testing lab reports that it detected a peak pressure that they estimated to be in excess of 130,000 CUP in one out of a batch of 20 outdated CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges dated 1975 that it tested.

CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges are manufactured solely for military use in several nations around the world. CBC has not exported or sold any of these cartridges to or in the United States. These particular cartridges are not intended for civilian use under any circumstances.

In addition, a warning is issued for any CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from any year that bear a label on the packing material with the Spanish word "reengastada". That label was not affixed by CBC, and its application to ammunition is not yet clear.

Anyone who has, or believes they have, CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from lots dated 1975, or CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from any year with the word "reengastada" on the packing label should immediately contact the dealer from whom they bought the rounds, and call the following toll-free phone number:

(800) 742-1094
CBC/Brazil

·
Registered
91 Posts
..and from a fellow member on another board, who provides some history on this:

"If you can follow the bouncing ball- - it failed inspections in Brazil, and was wholesaled to Chile. They decided to pull the bullets and mix the powder in big hoppers. Somewhere it got contaminated with pistol strength nearly identical powder. It failed inspections again, and was wholesaled again to the US. Guys there bought it by the case load and started blazing away in their machine guns. Well, that ended badly with a few exploded precious guns. The importer attempted to recall all the ammo but many crates slipped away. Gold Cross was able to buy up a quantity and remanufacture it as 155gr PALMA capable ammo. That is the only verifiable CBC worth shooting."

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
the other one to watch out for is the Chilean in the white boxes with the green sealant. It has blown and damaged a lot of rifles and Machineguns. Personally I had to cut the bolt out of an M60. Heard about several others, and lots of damaged semis. Been a lot of posts about it over the years. . the issue was it could be hot, or bad brass and the base of the brass would blow out. this ammo was sold in the US to FFLs etc back in the early 90s, and we had to sign a "no resale" agreement. It ran fine in the 1919 Browning MGs, (failures were not catastrophic) but guns like the HK, M14, it may be ok until it isn't. We shot a lot of this in post samples. I just saw about 500 rds of the ammo go for big $$ in a local auction. I hope the buyer is not making an expensive mistake.

·
Gold Bullet member
183 Posts
I bought thousands of CBC primed cases and reloaded and shot thousands. In the pulled
cases there would occasionally be a loaded round, all were pulled dumped and reloaded.
They were good brass primed cases for a nickel. Still have some

AZB

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.