Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all what does the "X in the box" with a H. or K. on a PU scope signify? I have seen it referred to as a refurb mark but it has no dates on it that I have seen on others? Does anyone have a definitive answer? The explanation for the letter? Thanks Ike

Sorry for the error I was going from some other photos on the forum. My scope has a "M" as the letter next to the box.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,880 Posts
Hello all what does the "X in the box" with a H. or K. on a PU scope signify? I have seen it referred to as a refurb mark but it has no dates on it that I have seen on others? Does anyone have a definitive answer? The explanation for the letter? Thanks Ike
The letter is probably a year date code but I don't know what year the Cyrillic N or K is. Per Ratnik, a "Л" is probably 1959, and an "M" 1960.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,880 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I just double checked my scope and it is marked with a an "M" ( not a Hor K) so it was probably a 1960 refurb? Thanks again Ike!!!
I don't know if the letter codes were a secrecy thing or just a bookkeeping thing. Oddly, early '50s Soviet ammo was headstamped with a letter code instead of a year, also.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently not universally done, because I believe I saw a scope with a 1959 date on it. Perhaps a time saving procedure, I would assume it is easier to stamp a "M" rather than a four numbered date. Thanks again Ike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts