Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my dad just gave me a nice Polish wz 29. As far as I can tell it's all matching, scrubbed and externally in great shape. The bore leaves something to be desired but what can you do. The bore looked decent until I cleaned it, after countless jet black patches the rifling looks far more worn than before I cleaned it, yet has some shine to it despite some minor pitting. I haven't shot the old war horse yet but I hope I can at least get some halfway decent groups from it. What can any of you tell me about the old beast, am I to assume that the scrubbed crest means that it was used in the Spanish revolution? These seem like uncommon rifles as it and the scoped one my dad also has are the only ones I've ever seen. Do prices reflect this apparent rarity? Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,325 Posts
Does it have a large flaming bomb in stock with MP 8 stamped iin it? Most of the Spanish civil war rifles that were surplused out had bores on the rough side.If you Read Geroge Orwells"Homage to Catalonia"He writes about lack of ammunition of quaitity,cleaning kits,and peoples general lack lf knowlege of firearms.I have seen Other Spanish Mausers/Polish with K-29 or K-98 on the side of the receiver but looking like a Standard WZ-29.As far as price-the blank receiver Polish mausers were not really sought after back when I started in 1984.Sarco advertised them in the SGN with stock defect for 129.00 Wish I would have bought a couple.As always the crest brings a log more money.

·
Registered
118 Posts
With crest intact, matching and v good to excellent condition they go for $500 on up on the auction sites. The scrubbed ones seem to generally sell for 2-300 dollars and sometimes less. They are well made rifles, and the actions are smooth.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also, rifles with dark bores and rifling wear can sometimes be surprisingly accurate. The only disadvantage is that it takes more work to clean them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou

Thanks for the input guys. I looked close at the stock and on the right side of the buttstock there are two cartouches stamped into the wood, one over the other but both are very faint. I can just barely make out an 8 in the top stamp but that is all. It really is a very well made rifle and is quite attractive to look at and the wear just gives it more character. Glad to know that even with the worn bore, it may shoot decent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts