Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
good stuff, havn't seen this footage before. Thanks for sharing it. @ 34sec omg.. some one tell that AT gunner to hold his fire.. wow.

Here are some news reels-

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ 34sec omg.. some one tell that AT gunner to hold his fire.. wow.
I know right!? :laugh: But hey I'm not going to judge, 1-2 seconds later it could have been a tank shell hitting where the camera was pointing instead of the cannon shooting. I must say though I laughed at the soldier hitting the deck. Bet he didn't hear too well after that one.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The board has been boring today so I figured we could use some entertainment. :)

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good stuff, havn't seen this footage before. Thanks for sharing it. @ 34sec omg.. some one tell that AT gunner to hold his fire.. wow.

Here are some news reels-

So in a video like this did the crew have time to get out? Even if they did I can imagine going down at that pace and round and round...no hope of getting out even if you could. Sad

Also how did you include the video?

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
So in a video like this did the crew have time to get out? Even if they did I can imagine going down at that pace and round and round...no hope of getting out even if you could. Sad

Also how did you include the video? or what?[/QUOTE]

i doubt any survived, the G forces in this type of explosion (aircraft hit with a direct AA round) would pin the crew to the planes body on the death spiral down. Thats assuming they were not instantly killed.

As for video; just click the video button and paste the youtube link inside. It works great; but forum restricts only one video per rply.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,358 Posts
Read a book about this exact B-24, which was shot down in 1944 over Palau by the Japanese. If I remember correctly, evidently three members of the crew got out. After interrogation, a hole was dug and they lead the three American survivors out. They shot one flyer believed to be an officer and chopped off the heads of the other two airmen with their samurai swords. Their bodies were recently identified when the grave were located on the island.

No problem understanding the murderous hatred of the Allied soldiers, sailors and Marines for the Japanese in the Pacific theater. It was war without mercy.
We cannot understand how the Japanese acted so atrociously the same way a Buddhist cannot understand how we raise cows to slaughter them and eat.
Not defending the Japanese, just explaining that they were humans to, but with a radically different perspective.

Its easy to think "I'd burn them alive if I caught them doing that". But take to their view an hour earlier when an entire city was fire bombed and those same soldiers families likely burned to death or if they were lucky, only lost their homes and possessions.

War is hell.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Were those sailors on the side of the ship as it turned? It looked like little dots falling down and moving..
correct, looked like a few hundred sailors were on her side when she exploded...

We cannot understand how the Japanese acted so atrociously the same way a Buddhist cannot understand how we raise cows to slaughter them and eat.
Not defending the Japanese, just explaining that they were humans to, but with a radically different perspective.

Its easy to think "I'd burn them alive if I caught them doing that". But take to their view an hour earlier when an entire city was fire bombed and those same soldiers families likely burned to death or if they were lucky, only lost their homes and possessions.

War is hell.
Agreed, and well said.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

War is hell.
That equivalency BS doesn't cut it with me, IMO, in total war there are no noncombatants, they were/are the enemy, kill every last one of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts