Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I was hoping to be able to get some assistance in identifying and determining a value on a pair of WWII German swords that a friend of mine has. Both swords have blades approximately 31" in length, with an overall length of about 3 feet. The first sword has the letters A M engraved in an oval on the left side of the cross guard and the eagle and swastika on the right side. I can see no identifying marks on the blade. The head of the sword has an animals face with a pair of red stones for eyes. I have attached six photo's to help illustrate the sword. I would be greatly appreciative if anyone could help me with any information on the sword as well as an approximate value. One other question, how much value would be added to the sword if it had an original set of sword tassels to go with it? Thank you very much for the help and assistance!

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are seven pictures of the second sword. It is identical to the first in size and general style. The engraving on this one is of a different style than on the first. The pommel of this sword also has an animal head on it, but no the red stones for eyes. I have no idea whether this is because the stones have been lost at some point in time or if it never had them to begin with. The left side of the cross guard has what appears to be a shield surrounded by laurels and the right side cross guard has a pair of crossed objects. Not sure if they are crossed canon barrels or what. This sword does have what appears to be a makers mark on the blade, but it is hard to see as it is covered by the extension on the cross guard. It appears to be something like E.u.E Horster. Again, any info regarding this sword and its value would be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid swords aren't my main area of interest and I'm just trying to help out a friend. Thanks in advance for any and all info!!

Attachments

·
Banned
6,846 Posts
I think the 1st is WW2 and the 2nd WW1. Swords are funny. To some they're worth something, to others, not so much. Thaat's wheer the value comes in.The Nazi eagle looks different than most I've seen. Value anywhere from $250 to $750 depending on condition and interest. Just MHO, tho, BB

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
yep, agree with BB, second is either WWI era or possibly fire police with crossed nozzles, possible between wars- patina looks nice but devalues sword, especially when finish and paint are missing- value about $250- $300 tops per sword, blade condition is what determines
value of any edged weapon, and these look presentable

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.