Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've started collecting WW-II documents pertaining to the Holocaust and other events. Just wondering if anyone else on the board collects any of the concentration camp script that was issued to inmates and/or Jews. I've got one 2RM piece from Buchenwald, several notes from Theresienstadt (Terezin), one from Litzmannstadt (Lodz ghetto), and a 1 RM note from a POW camp canteen. These are scans of the notes I have to date:

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
More banknotes, these are earlier...

Gee, I WONDER who that nut was you got them from... :confused:;)

These first two are "notgeld" produced in many localities during the German financial crisis of 1923. These two examples are from the town of Ambergau. My understanding is that these were used in place of German money when the banks failed. I can't read German, but supposedly these two notes exhibit "anti-semitic" characteristics. Note the swastika at the top of each side. The third "Heller" note is an Autro-Hungarian script note from a WW-I concentration camp.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I've got several of those WW 2 items including one or two concentration camp notes. Burried somewhere so not sure just what I have. I pick this stuff up occasionaly just for the novelty of it as opposed to collecting it.
I collect all sorts of WW 2 doccuments - mostly military, but others too.
Sarge

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm waiting for a 5 Mark Litzmannstadt note to arrive, I'll post photos of that one when it comes in this week.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Gunhorde, the first note has nothing antisemitic, the second has. Both are of 25 Pfennig ("Pfg" under the "25"). The third is indeed concentration camp money ("Brunn am Gebirge" = Brunn by the mountain, the city of Brno???).

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gunhorde, the first note has nothing antisemitic, the second has. Both are of 25 Pfennig ("Pfg" under the "25"). The third is indeed concentration camp money ("Brunn am Gebirge" = Brunn by the mountain, the city of Brno???).
Online translators leave MUCH to be desired, but I see the references to Jewish domination of Germans under falsehoods of some sort. Would it be possible for you to provide the correct translation? E-mail or PM if you'd prefer, and thanks for the information!

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The 5 mark Litzmannstadt note arrived last week, I'll post the scans of it tonight. I also received some more interesting wartime correspondence with nice stamps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts