Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw one at the Louisiville, KY show. It was a G 41 WWII German Semi Auto rifle but had a bolt in the back. He said it was a prototype. Anyone have any pictures of these and know how it would have worked? Was the bolt used just for chambering the first round?
BARQS19

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Sounds like your talking about a G41(M). The "M" because it was made by Mauser. They were trial rifles that competed against the G41(W) - Walther. The Walther design won, and was latter modified to become the G43.
The Mauser G41 was designed so if the Gas Trap type action failed to cycle the action - the weapon could be operated manually with the bolt by the soldier. It was not a success. Think about 10,000 made, and many of the rifles not swallowed up during the early trials in Russia were passed off to Italian and Bulgarian soldiers.
Pictures below off the web - wish they were mine!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I remember back in 1971 when I was a kid in Detroit Lakes, MN there was this really odd looking rifle for sale in a local gun shop. Price tag on the rifle was $90.00. I didn't know until years later that it was G-41(M).:(

·
Registered
291 Posts
I saw my first G41 about 2 weeks ago at the West Springfield, MA show. Really nice but used condition. Seller was asking +$12,000. He also had 4 G43s on his table at various prices.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably the same one I saw in Louisville. He wanted $12,000 for his too.
BARQS19

·
Registered
291 Posts
Good site. I have not been there before - thanks.

You are probably right - the same guy. I thought his prices were a bit high. He also had a nice looking SVT not eped and non-matching for about $1500. I asked him if it was a Finn capture and if it had an SA mark on it. He actually became a bit rude and I walked away. Before I walked he wanted to know if I wanted to borrow a electro pencil to make it all matching. He missed my question completely.

I would not like to do business with him if I really wanted something.

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
I have been priced right out of the market when it comes down to german rifles from WW2.
I wish I would have bought a G-43 and G-41 years ago when I saw them for $750.00 and $950.00 at a local show.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts