Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Shell casing looks to be from a 5"38 naval gun. Fuse has been removed and most likely shortened as well. Look to be one of the brass ones so keep it as they ain't making them like that anymore. Value is sujective as it has been shortened and fuse removed. Collectors want them in the best condition as possible with everything intact. Frank

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Shell casing looks to be from a 5"38 naval gun. Fuse has been removed and most likely shortened as well. Look to be one of the brass ones so keep it as they ain't making them like that anymore. Value is sujective as it has been shortened and fuse removed. Collectors want them in the best condition as possible with everything intact. Frank
Concur with all of this.

It's worth what someone will pay for it. In that condition, I'd offer nothing for it; there are plenty of nicer examples still out there.

Sorry if that's bad news! It's difficult to tell how much it's cut down; I'd actually put a potted plant in here. But I'm weird.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,931 Posts
I have one like that which had a plaque put on and is an ashtray or something. Maybe what that would have been turned into.

Sent from my 502SO using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
My ashtray was made from a 5"54 casing. Machinist who did the job for me removed the primer and used a bronze bolt to plug the hole. Spent a bunch of watches sanding down the darned thing and a lot of brasso. One of the few items from my ship. Frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.