Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up at a flea market a month or so ago for the low price of free when my friend bought a flashlight from the same seller. I thought it looked similar to 8mm Nambu but wasn't sure until I got home and compared it to my modern production 8mm Nambu...it's an exact match external dimension wise! Now that I've figured out the caliber, I am curious, is this simply vintage commercial produced 8mm Nambu or is it a legit WWII Japanese produced round?

IMG_0329.JPG IMG_0331.JPG
(There are no markings on the bottom of the case that I can see)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,010 Posts
That is a legit WW2 Japanese produced 8mm Nambu round. Good find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I am so excited to know that it is a WWII Japanese produced round! The story behind it is that it was sitting in a small box with about a dozen other various, normal looking, loose rounds; I noticed the bottleneck and thought it was unusual enough to ask about. The seller said he would take $0.50 for it, when my friend came up and wanted to buy a flashlight from him. The seller said that if he bought the flashlight, I could have the round for free. The rest is history. Initially I thought it was 7.62 Tok or 7.63 Mauser, because why would anything even more unusual be at a rural flea market? Then once I got it home, I compared it with some ammo I had and found it was 8mm Nambu!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’m curious and if you have a micrometer...what’s the OAL? I’d like to compare it to my reloads.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,863 Posts
I have a number of original 8mm and a couple of 7mm - if you message me, I can micro them for you

I picked up a T14 and a T94 mag at a small sporting good store in the early 1980's, I knew what they were and got them for $5 each :)

·
Diamond Member
876 Posts
I’m curious and if you have a micrometer...what’s the OAL? I’d like to compare it to my reloads.

Thanks!

The OAL of the 8mm Nambu cartridge was part of the discussion in the thread "Type 14 Nambu Pistol Malfunctions" back in Feb 2018. Here is one of my responses in that thread: "I dug into my 8mm Nambu ammo stash and, with my trusty dial caliper, measured the overall lengths of 100 8mm cartridges. I have over 500 loose rounds each of CN and GM, and I randomly selected 50 cartridges in good condition of each bullet style. The measurements ranged from 31.42mm to 32mm (only one cartridge was exactly 32mm) with the vast majority in the middle just like you would expect in a bell curve. Keeping away from statistical gobbledygook, 81% of the measurements fall within the 31.6mm to 31.89mm range with 45% within 31.75mm to 31.85mm." Also in that thread is an original measured diagram of the 8mm cartridge supplied by fredh.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the info! I have my reloading OAL set to 31.54mm (1.242) and have not had a single issue yet...knock on wood!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts