Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the moderators, I have tried looking for one stand alone thread, but it would be great to have one place for all period MG imagery, so here goes!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sir my understanding, or rather what can be seen in period imagery there are at least 5 variants for the MG08/15. The 3 standard and then 2 'armourer' or 'field altered' - there may be more!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nice pics. The guy cleaning the barrel in the first photo has a wild looking pipe. Can anybody make out what the sign says? I can't get the resolution sharp enough to make it out.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Dreyse.03.jpg

MG08 and Dreyse 7,65mm pistols.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re No's 4 and 6, a modern print of this image is currently for sale on the NZ TradeMe site. It is alleged by the seller to be weapons captured by New Zealand troops in 1918.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes those are NZ troops but the original image is from their official war photograph archives. Not sure if it can be sold? Anyway the round disc that is seen on the muzzle booster assembly is a flash dispenser.

·
Registered
162 Posts
http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2142250&d=1492234834
Does any one know what the disc attached to the end of the barrel is for?
Flash suppressor for the gunner during operation in subdued light.

"German machine gun nest and its dead. For miles such scenes could be seen on the battlefield as the Americans passed through the German lines. Bellicourt, Aisne at the Hindengerg Line. France. Oct. 13th, 1918."

View attachment 2152050

Sent from a computer ​for which
I am not obligated to provide free advertisement at the end of my emails.​

1 - 20 of 159 Posts