Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone -

Last Saturday I purchased a French Saint Etienne Mousqueton d'Artillerie Modèle 1892 with a barrel date of 1899. The guy I purchased it from tossed in two clips. One of the clips containes three rounds marked "R A S. 1 - 18".

I would like to clean these rounds up a bit, mainly nock the worst of the corrosion off. I DON'T want to clean these up to the point they are polished and look new; I'd like to keep the patina - if possible.

I remember reading somewhere, years ago, that it is possible to do this with antique ammo but can't find it now.

What advice, tips and tricks do you all have?

Metal

Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Metal

Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory

Brass Button Lock Metal Hardware accessory

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I can't answer the question, but I sure would like to have these in my collection. If it wasn't active, I would probably leave them as they are if I owned them. I hope someone can lead you to the information that you want.

Tribrothers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't answer the question, but I sure would like to have these in my collection. If it wasn't active, I would probably leave them as they are if I owned them. I hope someone can lead you to the information that you want.

Tribrothers
I have no problem leaving them as they are but worry the corrosion will get worse if not at least neutralized somehow.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,646 Posts
Wipe the corrosion off with a rag soaked with oil.
The oil could seep into the case, rendering the power inert, but the primers are likely dead anyway.
What ever you do, do not remove the darkened brass color.
Gregg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.