Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yo Gents,

I thought I might rescue these items from the transfer thread to a place where they can be viewed independently, and I might add, along with the excellent WWI Bulgarian ferashka I picked up from Brian. It’s a real beauty! I couldn’t find the photos before, but located them today on one of my back-up hard drives.

The mannequin is one of the series I have been purchasing regularly since year before last. They are perfect for these displays in that they are slender build and 5’10” tall, which makes them just about perfect for the average WWI uniform tunic or greatcoat. Since I paint my mannequins anyway, it doesn’t matter that this series comes completely “in the white”! The other feature that is perfect about this particular model is that it comes with mounting rods that can be used in the bottom of the foot…..OR……in the back of the calf, which means I don’t have to drill holes in an antique pair of shoes! (Tsarvuli). Excellent!

The footwear was acquired for me with special care to detail by our very own Nick who enlisted the aid of some of his Bulgarian re-enactor friends in…….you guessed it!......... Bulgaria! Many thanks to Nick and his Buddies!

The shoes are called Tsarvuli and come complete with the traditional stockings, leg wraps and woven woolen cord to wrap them with. Nick provided me with the proper names of all of the accouterments to the shoes, but I don’t have time to look them up this evening. I’ll edit them into the thread later.

And of course I have added a WWI vintage photo of a Bulgarian soldier wearing this traditional footwear and leg wraps to show the "look" I am targeting with this most interesting display.

I’ll post photos of the display when it is completed. This mannequin and the Serbian Field Officer display will be featured in a two part article entitled, “WWI Small Arms of the Balkans”.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
177 Posts
For historical accuracy...

I know that JPS's collections is something like the Holy Grail in this forum and sorry for my comment. Well done once again on the collecting side, but not exactly accurately described.

I can confidently say that the Bulgarian guy is dressed in WW2 gear (both his hat and his tunic) and actually it looks like an officer's summer uniform. Does it have one pip on the shoulder boards? Second leutenant probably. Would never be seen in the field with rifle and ammo pouches.
The hat is also an OR WW2 cap.

As I said, fantastic display, but not Great War, to set things right...

·
Super Moderator
11,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello deadjune,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm in route home from China and don't have time to do your comments justice. After I have been home for a few days and had a chance to decompress, I'll respond in detail.

For the moment I'll say that I ALWAYS appreiate constructive criticism and nobody (Holy Grail???.....please!) is 100% correct even half the tie, let alone ALL of the time.

Thank you for your input. I'm always open to suggestion and correction. More when I've had some sleep and had a chance to remember what my Wife looks like?

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
49 Posts
John,
Just a quick note on the Bulgarian cap. If you recall, I told you when you won the auction that when I acquired it, there was no lining or visor and that I had used a WW2 officers cap lining/visor to complete it. I think this might be what the cap is being judged on. I guess the cap body could also be WW2 but I really think the color of the wool and the wool itself look pre WWI. Hard to know for sure, never seen another in person. Altogether a n awsome display.
Brian

·
Registered
177 Posts
John,
Just a quick note on the Bulgarian cap. If you recall, I told you when you won the auction that when I acquired it, there was no lining or visor and that I had used a WW2 officers cap lining/visor to complete it. I think this might be what the cap is being judged on. I guess the cap body could also be WW2 but I really think the color of the wool and the wool itself look pre WWI. Hard to know for sure, never seen another in person. Altogether a n awsome display.
Brian
View attachment 133692

I have seen them in Sofia and I have one myself that is from ww1 - The 1915 model: My cap
is the 1915 specs,tobacco wool with red piping but it had no
red band, the 1908 model had red band for most infantry (or other branch colour)but had also dark blue crown.
This is 99% a WW2 cap. Also see the above real photo of a second leutenant dated 1940. Exactly the same uniform.
Judge for yourself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Will you post photos of your Bulgarian model 1915? I would love to see it.
I thought the 1908 conversion to tobacco brown also included the cap which retained the red band for infantry? Also, were many of the uniforms by 1916/17 being made in field gray?

·
Super Moderator
11,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
View attachment 133692

I have seen them in Sofia and I have one myself that is from ww1 - The 1915 model: My cap
is the 1915 specs,tobacco wool with red piping but it had no
red band, the 1908 model had red band for most infantry (or other branch colour)but had also dark blue crown.
This is 99% a WW2 cap. Also see the above real photo of a second leutenant dated 1940. Exactly the same uniform.
Judge for yourself.

Nice photo Deadjune.........Thank you!

We are up at my Mother's for the Holidays and I only have occasional access to the internet over at my Brother's home.

In the interim Deadjune, what sources are you using for your uniform information??? I'll come back to this in detail when we get home.

Happy Holidays!

JPS

·
Super Moderator
11,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hello Deadjune,

Happy New Year!.......almost……another couple of days to go! In the interim, I have decompressed, spent some wonderful time with our extended Family and even managed to recognize Valentina at the airport when I arrived at LAX! How's that for starters??? Now on to a more important subject!

I have all of my information pulled together and am prepared to walk through your information versus mine. Now that you have our collective attention, please share your research sources with us along with how you ID one period's tunic versus another in the absence of any date stamps? There are very few sources available in the States, whether in English or Bulgarian, that deal with the Bulgarian uniforms issued during WWI, hence my interest in your research sources. I have a couple of books in Bulgarian which my wife has translated for me in addition to sources in English.

Once you have provided us with your research sources, I’ll add my $ .02 worth regarding the acquisition of this tunic and cap, my own research and the reasons why both items are present in both my collection as well as in this display.

When ever your ready…………....................

Happy Holidays!

JPS

·
Super Moderator
11,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yo Deadjune,

We are all waiting for your input via constructive criticism of my WWI Bulgarian display. I will be home for another couple of weeks, so anytime you want to join us to carry on this discussion will be fine.

Please read my last post on the pre-existing thread and provide us with your sources of information and I'll chime in from there. If your ONLY source is the WWII vintage photo that you posted before, then let us know this as well.

Any time will be fine!

Happy New Year!

JPS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts