Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,331 Posts
Boy they sure look like it! Loooong barrels. The only thing that seems to be "off" is a tang coming off the back of the trigger guard? I am thinking more likely French Berthier rifles.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've enlarged the photo and they are French rilfles. Dang it!!! The one on the left looks more like a Lebel than a Berthier. They have US style slings on them so they must have been used by Doughboys. I thought only US African-American units were issued French rifles?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly!!! Never thought of that.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Interesting picture, Krag! Like to see the original! The two rifles to the right are '03s with some Chauchats mixed in. It is the first picture I have ever seen of Germans with U.S. captives - and the U.S. rifles!!

Supposedly a couple of engineer units got to France with Krags - a number of them (rifles) are mentioned as dating to November, 1917. Naturally, Krags were used in some numbers for training back in the States, as well. I've seen some Navy units with Krags in training.

I assume this is for an article? Let us know when it will appear and where!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it's not for an article. Just something I found while searching the Net for photos of WWI French and Austro-Hungarian soldiers.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The use of the Krag in WWI would make for an interesting article though...

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
A bit OT but... Many years ago, before I knew very much about military rifles, I noticed that Sargeant Shultz on "Hogan's Heroes" was packin' a Krag. That's not right I thought. Years later, it dawned on me that Shultz was in the Luftwaffe, guarding a POW camp. Therefore, he was probably, 4-F, and the Krag was probably Norwegian, which the Luftwaffe used. Or, maybe the producers just got lucky!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts