Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this photo of American soldiers captured by the Germans in WWI with their weapons are piled in front of them. It's easy to identify the M1903s and Chauchat but I believe the long rifles stacked are Krags?

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Mixed bag of weapons, isn't it? That looks like an '03 leaning against the pile on the right. I saw on the US Weapons forum that you've since ID'd the stacked long rifles as Lebels. US troops who were assigned with French or British units for training purposes were typically issued small arms from that unit - these guys must have been working with a French division. I know of numerous instances where US troops were issued Brit SMLEs when assigned with a British division.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
The rear area troops were issued Krags. Like the guards in Belfast at the Port and some of the Railway Battalions, Railway Artillery and such... Supposedly, they all got Springfields or 1917's before the war ended...

Dale

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.