Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the kind of gear my great grandfather would have carried in ww2.
He was a Private, and engineer in the Army. I'm looking for information such as what rifle or pistol he would have carried and what kind of uniform, also any kind of accessories or other things he would have gotten. He served in the Philippines before being captured. The year was 1942 i believe.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,575 Posts
US Army trroops wore the tropical uniform in the Philippines, cotton Khaki shirts and trousers. Helmets were 1917A-1's, web gear would have been 1910's and weapons, 03 Springfields, Thompson sub MG's and maybe a 1911 Colt type pistol. Check out one of the big book stores for some reference books.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My uncle was also in Batan. He was in costal artillery and was issued a Springfield 1903. He was a private as well but had 2 1911's he won in a poker game. I have quite a few POW postcards of his along with Western Union telegrams my grandmother recieved from him after being released and a telegram to her tell her he had been found alive in a POW camp over a year after Batan fell.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I am looking for the kind of gear my great grandfather would have carried in ww2.
He was a Private, and engineer in the Army. I'm looking for information such as what rifle or pistol he would have carried and what kind of uniform, also any kind of accessories or other things he would have gotten. He served in the Philippines before being captured. The year was 1942 i believe.
While I agree with most of the posts above, the type of weapon he carried depended on his unit. Was he a "ground" engineer, or in one of the aviation engineer units? Just for the record, regular army units (31st, 45th, 57th Infantry Regiments and 26th Cavalry) carried the M1 Garand.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
As I recall, the only "ground" engineer unit over there in 1941-42 was the 14th Engineer Regiment, which was a Philippine Scout unit. He wasn't one of those, was he? If not there were two aviation engineer units - one was the 803rd and one more whose designation escaps me at the moment. If he was an aviation engineer, he might have been with a so-called composite unit on Bataan, made up of sailors, airmen and other "leftovers". They used M1 Garands, M1903s, M1917s and just about anything available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.