Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in New Orleans last week and visited the WW2 museum. I have included a couple of photos of a faux pas on the T38 rifle which is numbered 20 for the adjoining placard. Not one of my favorite museums unless you like video and placards to interpret the war.

Also stopped at the USS Kidd memorial in Baton Rouge. Interesting museum with numerous artifacts including a very nice papa nambu and Japanese swords.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
I visited it only a couple of years after it opened. It was definitely a work in progress at that time.

The main lobby when I visited only had a Higgins boat, a German anti-tank gun whose claim to fame was it was used in filming Band of Brothers, a US staff car (I believe it was a Chrysler), and if I recall properly, a couple of other relatively small exhibits, including a scale model of one of the Jeep carriers of Taffy 3 that scared off the big Japanese attack at Leyte Gulf.

If you could find one of their docents, I am sure that they would be interested in hearing about their error, and they might even decide to correct their T38,or change the placard.

I am pretty sure a donation or loan of a Mosin Nagant and some WWII Soviet gear for display purposes (When I was there I don't recall them having ANY Soviet stuff on display, a pretty huge omission) would also very likely be gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
So let me get this straight..... The official Museum of WW2 of the USA has a fake Japanese Type 38 rifle on display? I don't know where to begin with how inappropriate that is. Literally thousands of these were brought back as war souvenirs from service members who fought and conquered one of the most fearsome and determined militaries the United States has ever fought. And they couldn't find one example to display for the public to learn about. I'm just an every day Murican and I have a closet full of these rifles! Doesn't everybody? Maybe I'll try to donate one. Seems a shame. I still want to take a visit to the museum if I ever get down there.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never said it was fake. The rifle depicted at station 20 is a t38 trainer and NOT a T38 rifle. To most not an issue. I am surprised with the resources the museum has, that they would not scrutinize an artifact display with internal and or external consultants.
This is not the first time I have noticed inaccuracies, a visit to the Smithsonian in March of 2010 had a Japanese T38 rifle of carbine displayed with a German K98 sling.
Easier to share history with videos and placards then to pull out artifacts that require special handling and care during display as well as a very specific knowledge to properly define.

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Tom Hanks narrated movie was awesome. It actually snowed on the audience during the battle of the bulge part. Great museum. Well worth visiting.

The WW1 museum in KC is very interesting also if you get a chance to visit.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Are you sure the rifles a trainer? It looks like a standard T38 with a refinished stock. The oval training brand is typically found on issued T38's. Jon
Agree with Jon. The rifle appears to be a Type 38 service rifle with an oval stock brand having kanji "教練用" translating "Military Training Use." Type 38 rifles with this brand are known to exist within a narrow serial number range. A clear photo of the brand is below.

C/

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
So let me get this straight..... The official Museum of WW2 of the USA has a fake Japanese Type 38 rifle on display? I don't know where to begin with how inappropriate that is. Literally thousands of these were brought back as war souvenirs from service members who fought and conquered one of the most fearsome and determined militaries the United States has ever fought. And they couldn't find one example to display for the public to learn about. I'm just an every day Murican and I have a closet full of these rifles! Doesn't everybody? Maybe I'll try to donate one. Seems a shame. I still want to take a visit to the museum if I ever get down there.
From the Donate FAQ, http://www.nationalww2museum.org/give/donate-an-artifact/common-world-war-ii-donations.html

The Museum currently has sufficient examples of the Japanese Type 38 and Type 99 Rifle.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you sure the rifles a trainer? It looks like a standard T38 with a refinished stock. The oval training brand is typically found on issued T38's. Jon
The stock appeared to be one piece, could not make the metal out. The rear site also appeared differently then a normal T38.
My take it was a trainer...

·
Diamond Member
7,625 Posts
I visited the museum about 2.5 years ago and would highly recommend it. At one display there was a hanging pie chart that left a lasting impression with me. The chart had around 12 slices representing Japanese cities along with an American city of the same size and it showed the total amount of the Japanese city destroyed. A few pics I took...please excuse the non Japanese related. Denny
View attachment 2049738 View attachment 2049746 View attachment 2049754 View attachment 2049762 View attachment 2049770 View attachment 2049778

·
Silver Bullet member
290 Posts
I visited the museum about 2.5 years ago and would highly recommend it. At one display there was a hanging pie chart that left a lasting impression with me. The chart had around 12 slices representing Japanese cities along with an American city of the same size and it showed the total amount of the Japanese city destroyed. A few pics I took...please excuse the non Japanese related. Denny
View attachment 2049738 View attachment 2049746 View attachment 2049754 View attachment 2049762 View attachment 2049770 View attachment 2049778
I actually helped assemble "Bunny", the P51 Mustang in the pic. My son and grandson were hired to assist in it's restoration in Santee, CA. I was invited by my son to come visit and be there for the unveiling. They were running behind and I was allowed to assist them in finishing it up. Hanging the prop was where I assisted. It was a once in a lifetime experience!

·
Diamond Member
7,625 Posts
I actually helped assemble "Bunny", the P51 Mustang in the pic. My son and grandson were hired to assist in it's restoration in Santee, CA. I was invited by my son to come visit and be there for the unveiling. They were running behind and I was allowed to assist them in finishing it up. Hanging the prop was where I assisted. It was a once in a lifetime experience!
That's really cool......I would have enjoyed that! Denny

·
Registered
305 Posts
I heard they got raided and lost a bunch of stuff during Katrina but not sure how true that is. The swords they had on display weren't in the best shape and were a bit of a disappointment. Other than that, it's a nice museum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My youngest brother visited that museum with his wife and 8 year old son, during a short sojourn in the U.S. Now that he has gone from consulting to providing an information service for our tertiary education institutions, he was able to do a ten month tour of Europe and the States and post remotely. My nephew was delighted with the quality of the museum, as were his parents. The ability to walk past the restoration/conservation area and observe the work through massive glass windows was a high point of their visit.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
I heard they got raided and lost a bunch of stuff during Katrina but not sure how true that is. The swords they had on display weren't in the best shape and were a bit of a disappointment. Other than that, it's a nice museum.
I am not sure if the museum had even opened by then (Katrina). It was for sure a work in progress, but I am not sure it was quite 'there' yet.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
Museum opened in December of 2000. I still have my ticket! It REALLY sucked. Sucked so bad, we didn't go back until last year and it was really nice. Here's a quote from an interview regarding the museum during Katrina:

"Mr. MUELLER: The looters and the vandals got in there and just smashed everything on the ground floor. Fortunately all of our prized artifacts and exhibits are on the second and third floors and we have big gates protecting those areas. But the gift shop and the coffee shop and those, they just tore the heck out of it.

RULAND: There's no sign of any damage now. Thanks to the Herculean efforts of Mueller's staff, the museum reopened just three months after Katrina. At that time they welcomed 15 to 25 guests a day. Mostly policemen, firemen and first responders who were badly in need of a morale boost."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.