Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this.....I recently bought a bayonet that was mounted on a wooden pole like a hoe handle with a metal end on it that had a mount welded onto it for holding a bayonet. It had a U.S. Krag Bolo bayonet mounted on it, but I was told that it probably was British and I tried a 1917 Enfield bayonet on it and it fits fine. Any help would be appreciated to help identify it. Thanks, Harry Not sure if I can put a photo on this or not....

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,977 Posts
I am surprised that someone hasn't commented. Certainly it is well documented that the British and the Irish (during the troubles) made pikes with bayonet blades attached to wood poles. I have never heard of any with detachable components. They were all fixed by welding to the shaft ferrule to my knowledge. Pictures would be wonderful.

I can't remember the book but it was documented that during WWII a Scots home guard armed with a pike ran down a hill into two German saboteurs beaching a rubber boat. He stuck the boat and scared the Germans into surrendering. Sorry I can't be of more help but as moderator I can't stand to see an item go unanswered.

Priest's "The Spirit of the Pike" has nothing on the subject.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,190 Posts
A Krag bolo bayonet is a great find! You don't see those every day.

As I recall, the Krag bolo bayonet was intended for issue in the Phillipines. I wonder if this odd pole arm originated in the Pacific. Maybe Phillipino or Japanese?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks breakeyp! I'm really anxious to find out more about this pole/bayonet I found. I did some research and found that some home guard British were armed with pikes with bayonets welded onto them.
Is there a way for me to post a photo?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 45Auto! Yes, the Krag bolo bayonet is a great addition to my collection of U.S. Knives and Bayonets, especially since it has an original scabbard too. I'd like to post a photo, but don't know how.

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,977 Posts
posting pictures

Reduce the size of the pictures you want to use to large setting

Go to reply/start new thread and open manage attachments

open "add file"

open "select file and search our picture file for the ones you want. pick them

open "insert inline" and you should see added picture text in your thread when you run a preview check.

good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The issue Home Guard pike was steel handled with the bayonet welded on. The recently passed away MP Tony Benn recalled being issued with one when he joined the Home Guard as a 17 year old. Many improvised ones were made locally in the first weeks of the Local Defence Volunteers/Home Guard, usually with wooden handles ('kitchen knife fixed to a broom handle' was one early helpful hint) and, yes, they were expected to take on rifle armed Germans with the pike . Technically a half pike for the pedantic. My grandfather lived right by the coast so his platoon were very quickly issued bridge demolition charges, 2x Vickers MMGs and P17 rifles so was spared facing the Wermacht with only a pointy stick.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The historian at RAF Halton recounted recently that in 1940 the best shots of the apprentices in training were given rifles to shoot the descending German paratroops and the rest were given pikes made in the School workshops and told to finish off the survivors when they reached the ground.
There is, in R J Wilkinson Latham, British Military Bayonets, 1700-1945, some correspondence from Wilkinson Sword Co about a bunch of P17 bayonets they have had delivered from Weedon that have all been damaged by welding onto pikes and which they have to repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.