Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a WW2 Second Class Iron Cross that doesn't have the "1813" date on the back. It has no markings on the back. Is this unusual?

The cross has a magnetic center and I believe its genuine.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Extremely, IF it is an original!
Sarge

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cross Medal Symbol Religious item Silver
View attachment 2180266 Zipper Fashion accessory
Zipper Fashion accessory Coin purse Wallet
Cross Medal Symbol Fashion accessory Metal
Cross Symbol Fashion accessory Metal
Font Metal Silver Fashion accessory
Metal Fashion accessory Silver
Buckle Metal Belt buckle Zipper Belt

Here are the pics! The lower arm of the back side that should have the "1813" doesn't reveal any file marks etc.. I think it would be pretty hard to remove the date anyways.
The iron center was black when I obtained this medal in the late 50s or early 60s. It was stored in an unheated building for a few years and that might be why the black came off. I had an EK 1 that did the same thing.

Everything looks genuine to me.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Not an ek 2 I would own. Think it's a post war , early reproduction, no real ek2 would have ever passed inspection without reverse planchet, even in late war Germany!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Maybe done to order or for a special occasion? I never heard of one missing the date, neither. But from the pictures I would swear it´s real. Maybe made on the original machines or just a thought coming to me... Maybe they used the iron inlay for an EK1 by mistake or by design for repairs?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I tried finding out about the Maker.. the 27 on the ring looks good btw. for the ones I could find. Made in Vienna by Anton Schenkl Company, or by his successor rather. Seems there are variants out there with the cloth in the typical austrian triangle style. Also the discoloring and the "veins" on the core seem to be typical. At least on those examples I could find by a quick search in german shops. Maybe it was done after the war by the same make, I don´t know. I can only surmise it looks real enough, except for the missing 1813. Then again, what reason would there be for a repro or fake to leave out just that bit, but do anything else? It may only be 1. a mistake 2. intentional to mark it out as a later repro. But I never saw another, I would guess that such good repros might have been more common. 3. Made to order by someone who for whatever reason wanted it without the 1813. Maybe his Granddad fought for Napoleon :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The mistaken use of an EK1 core sounds logical to me. The metals present in this piece, maker stamp, and the soldering all look genuine to me. Seems like making a reproduction this good would be too costly to make it worth the effort.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.